Dry Cough in Children
Coughing is the body's natural way of getting rid of foreign substances from the throat and respiratory tract. Given that, an occasional cough is normal and means no harm. However, a cough that stays for several weeks, does signal something severe. A dry cough, also known as nonproductive cough, does not produce any phlegm unlike a wet cough or productive cough. In most children, a dry cough is usually minor and relatively easy to treat. In some cases, however, it may be otherwise.
Constipation may be one of the side effects of expectorants. The inability to have smooth bowel movement may be disrupted for a few days, till the individual consumes the expectorant. You may also experience diarrhea, a contrary condition, which affects the gastrointestinal system.
Dry Cough Remedy for Kids
Mostly, you can relieve your child's cough with the help of some simple self-care treatment measures. However, if your child is an infant, then nothing would be more advisable than taking him/her to a pediatrician.
THE DOCTORS Explains The Major Types of Coughs
Subscribe to The Doctors: http://bit.ly/SubscribeTheDrs LIKE us on Facebook: http://bit.ly/FacebookTheDoctors Follow us on Twitter: http://bit.ly/TheDrsTwitter ...
This is a side effect which has now become a common symptom of expectorants not suiting you. You may suffer from sleeplessness or temporary insomnia, due to which you are drowsy and sleepy during the rest of the day. It is however, necessary that a suppressant be prescribed for the nighttime so that the individual may have a peaceful sleep, as he is not disturbed by the constant spasmodic coughing.
- As it is an airborne disease, cats can also get infected with kennel cough.
- Although cats do not show symptoms like cough, they can have a runny nose and fever.
- There are high chances of kennel cough being contagious to people who are in close contact with the infected pet.
- On the other hand, people with a weakened immune system, like babies, children or old people are at a higher risk of contracting the disease.
Risks of Whooping Cough
As mentioned above, due to the availability of advanced treatment methods and vaccination, the chances of contracting whooping cough is relatively less. Secondly, due to the same reasons, the chances of death occurring due to whooping cough are further lessened. According to the statistics, deaths occurring due to whooping cough are as low as 0.2% of the total cases. However, this does not mean that there cannot be any possibility of death. As there are reported deaths caused due to this disease, one should be aware of the whooping cough risks and take care in order to prevent them.
- Make a paste of basil leaves and honey.
- Give this mixture to your child whenever he/she has a cough.
- Soak some almonds in water overnight, and the next morning make a paste out of them.
- Mix this paste with honey, and give it to your child whenever he/she has a cough.
- Paste of honey and ginger is equally beneficial in reducing dry cough.
- Simply grind some freshly-cut cloves of ginger and mix it with honey, and administer three times a day.
- Help your child do a salt water gargle.
- To make the solution, simply mix 1/2 teaspoon of table salt in a glass of lukewarm water, and stir.
Salt Water Gargle is Most Suitable for Kids Aged 4 and Above.
Teach your child the proper way to gargle. Even better, help him/her practice with plain water first.
Remember to tell your child not to swallow the saline solution but to spit it out, after gargling with it.
Gargling Three to Four Times a Day is Recommended.
Your child has a stuffy nose along with a dry cough, then help him/her sleep with the head slightly elevated. For this, you can use pillows or towels. This will help your child breathe more comfortably and sleep better.
Cough, Whether Dry or Wet, can Take a Lot Out of Your Child's Body
Although, you may not always prevent the condition from affecting your child, you can surely reduce the risks. One of the simple ways of doing it is by maintaining personal hygiene, and helping your kids learn to do the same.