Acute Tracheo Bronchitis: Cough Treatment During Pregnancy
Cough and cold can be really annoying, especially during pregnancy. What is more problematic is that the pregnant women cannot use all types of cough medications, as certain ingredients can have an adverse effect on the developing fetus. So, they should always check the ingredients and confirm with their physician before taking them. Here are some medications and home remedies that can be safely used by expectant mothers.
- One is bound to have a slip of tongue when they try to say the words pneumonitis and pneumonia in one breath.
- These are two serious respiratory problems, if not taken care of early on, they could progress in to life-threatening conditions.
- Although, both these conditions affect the lungs, there are some differences between them.
- As these conditions involve the lungs, it could lead to breathing problems that brings about oxygen destruction in the body.
- Without oxygen, cells in the body start to die and leading to deadly outcomes.
- Here, we will attempt to explain these types of differences between the signs and causes of these two respiratory conditions.
Benefits of Taking Herbal Tea
A number of benefits of herbal tea can be availed by the consumption of this beverage. Herbal tea can be used as a remedy for dry as well as wet (or productive) cough. Here are some of the positive effects of taking a cup of herbal tea. These herbal teas can also be given to children. Sipping hot herbal tea and inhaling the steam emanating from it, helps control the symptoms and also speeds up the recovery time of this respiratory illness.
- One of the most common risk or side effect that can occur in people suffering from whooping cough is secondary infection.
- The infection in the lungs can worsen and lead to bacterial pneumonia.
- You must be aware that pneumonia of any kind can be serious and life-threatening.
- Therefore, more than 50% of the cases of the total number of deaths caused due to whooping cough, are caused due to bacterial pneumonia.
- It should be noted that the effects of bacterial pneumonia are more pronounced and severe in babies and children.
- As the name suggests, allergic broncho-pulmonary aspergillosis affects people who suffer from respiratory problems like asthma.
- This condition is also known to affect people with cystic fibrosis.
- In this condition, the patient often develops chronic allergic reaction.
- The common symptoms which accompany include wheezing, fever and cough.
- It is caused due to the fungus lining the airway.
The clot wedge prevents blood from traveling past it to the other side of the lung, thereby preventing that portion of the lung from receiving oxygen. Thus, a blood clot in the lung is formed. Lack of oxygen supply brings about death of lung cells. The body is seen to be able to break up the small clots rapidly and tries to keep the damage minimum. However, large clots or even emboli can cause this lung region to be able to pass away as well as may even bring about death. About 1% of the population suffers from pulmonary embolism.
- The human respiratory system consists of anatomical structures that act as passageway for inhaled air.
- The air that we breathe in, flows through the nasal passage and travels through the pharynx, larynx and the trachea.
- The trachea or the windpipe branches further into the right and left bronchial tubes.
- The bronchial tubes branch out into smaller branches that are called bronchioles.
- Clusters of tiny sacs, also referred to as alveolar sacs, are located at the end of the bronchioles.
- These sacs are surrounded by thin-walled capillaries.
The oxygen from these tiny sacs is passed on into the capillaries, while carbon dioxide from the capillaries is released into the sacs, and is then exhaled out. While the air supplies us with the life-giving oxygen, there are unwanted environmental irritants, allergens or pathogens that we may inhale. Inhalation of these substances can cause inflammation of the airways. The terms 'bronchitis' and 'bronchiolitis' refer to the inflammation of the bronchi and bronchioles respectively. Now that you have a basic idea about the anatomy of the respiratory system, let's learn about the difference between bronchitis and bronchiolitis.
To Sum Up, the Use of Cough Medicines During Pregnancy Should be Minimized
Pregnant women having cough should talk to their physician regarding the use of appropriate medications, rather than practicing self-medication. Even though some cough medications can be safely used by expectant mothers, they should not be used for a prolonged period.
- Pneumonitis Pneumonia Pneumonitis is a term that refers to lung tissue inflammation due to factors other than a microbial infection.
- Pneumonia is a condition where lung irritation occurs as a result of microbial infection.
- Factors that lead to be able to pneumonitis include:
The Expectorant that is Considered to be Safe to for Use During Maternity is Guaifenesin
However, this medication should not be used for a prolonged time period and it is better to consult the doctor before opting for it. The most commonly used cough suppressant in maternity is dextromethorphan. In one animal study, this medication has been found to cause birth defects in chick embryo. However, this study is believed to be defective in nature and dextromethorphan is largely considered as safe to be used by pregnant women. However, still, they should take it only after consulting their physician.
- Using an extra pillow or sleeping in a sitting position with you mind raised, can ease breathing, without preventing the nasal passages.
- You can also use sinus strips for better breathing.
- For chest congestion, utilize a little vapor stroke containing menthol.
- Rub it on your own chest, guitar neck, and nose for relief.
The ancient health beverage of the Chinese herbalists, Greeks and Romans, licorice is also another reliable home remedy to get rid of cough and cold. Having demulcent and expectorant properties, licorice tea aids in the expulsion of the phlegm from the respiratory tract, while soothing the sinus cavities and throat. Licorice tea is especially good for productive cough. Seep the roots in boiling water for about 10 minutes and strain it. You can add a sweetener to the beverage if you don't like the strong flavor.
Know the Causes
According to studies, the levels of estrogen and progesterone rise during pregnancy. As a result, the nasal membranes (also the mucous membranes) swell, causing them to dry out easily. So, even a slight chilly and cough can make the nose and upper body feel stuffy.
Other symptoms of bronchitis consist of shortness of breath, chest discomfort, and so on. This is due to airway hyperreactivity, which results in narrowing of the air passages, thereby causing impairment to the conventional airflow into and out of the lungs. This kind of airway hyperactivity can also be triggered by irritants, like dirt as well as fumes, cool oxygen, tobacco smoke, as well as strong smells.
Prevention It is important to do every effort to stop the spread of the viral infection. The person who has contracted serious bronchitis ought to take precautions at the time of coughing and sneezing. The person should include his mouth with a cloth from these types of circumstances. Changing this cloth every day can help in controlling the spread of disease. Infectious nature on this infection makes it necessary for the affected individual to wash his hands with soap or using sanitizer more often, as a part of the actual hygiene routine.
Along with this precaution, the affected person must take rest, drink a lot of water and avoid going to crowded places. Rather than trying to cure this infection by self-medication and using antibiotics in the process, the affected person ought to get professional help. It is important to note that acute respiratory disease is a viral infection and antibiotics won't be helpful in getting rid of it. Your efforts in this direction will only avoid the period of the infection; and put the individuals you deal with at the risk of being infected with it.
Coughing is an Unpleasant Experience and There are No Two Ways about It
The worst type may be the dry cough that does not contain phlegm or saliva. This sort of cough affects the throat a lot and sometimes the pain continues even after the attack of cough went. It also damages stomach, which eventually brings about the system to be able to ache as a result of the sheer force with which these bouts appear. A throat infection is the most common cause of dry cough.
- Medications may be needed in cases where the cough is persistent and not showing any signs of backing down.
- Always opt for doctor's recommended cough syrups so that you can rest assured about their safety and effectiveness.
- Also try to sleep on your left side, as it is thought to help ease the lungs and suppress bouts of cough.
Human Heart Consists of Four Enclosures or Chambers
The two upper chambers called the right and left atria, receive the impure blood and pass it into the lower chambers called right and left ventricles. The blood then moves on from the heart to the lungs where the gases are exchanged. In this entire process, the heart valves make sure that the direction of the blood flow is maintained. When the muscular left ventricle is not capable enough to push out sufficient amount of blood into the lungs, enormous pressure is build up in the left atrium, pulmonary veins and capillaries. To relieve this pressure, fluids from the blood vessels of the lungs are pushed into the alveoli.
Pneumonia Pneumonia is a severe respiratory disease seen as a symptoms similar to those of bronchitis. It is caused as a result of inflammation of the lungs (excluding the bronchi) because of infection caused either by virus, bacteria or even other parasites. You ought to keep in mind that pneumonia can be lethal, if left untreated.
- People who are at risk of pulmonary embolism should try to prevent the formation of blood clots in their bloodstream by being active.
- Moving around as much as possible may help prevent the formation of clots.
- While traveling in an airplane, one must get up each hr and walk around.
- During extended car journeys, cease every 2 hours and extend your legs and walk.
- Reduction is preferable to cure!
- Therefore take care!
Include foods rich in zinc such as chicken, poultry, eggs, yogurt, beef, or oysters (cooked) in what you eat. Zinc will help strengthen the immune system. Additionally, citrus fruits like oranges, apple, strawberries, kiwi, bell all kinds of peppers, tomato, red cabbage, and so on., can help fight the signs.
- As a summation of the above, remember that viral bronchitis is caused due to the same virus that causes cold and flu.
- Therefore, if suffering from these conditions, you should get them treated immediately in order to prevent viral bronchitis.
Is essential to recognize the signs of viral lung infection in the early stages, so that it can be quickly taken care of, before it leads to help expand complications. Before administering treatment, the health care provider may conduct a battery of diagnostic tests to determine the severity of the infection and also it's spread to other internal organs in the body. The actual tests may include torso X-ray, sputum tests, MRI and CT check out with regard to closer analysis and also a physical exam of the individual.
Problems Could Also Observe and Study the Symptoms of the Actual Viral Lung Infection
When the test indicates the presence of the pathogens, the medical practitioner may proceed towards treatment. This can include management of anti viral drugs and medications to get rid of the germs. In the event that the person will be experiencing breathing difficulties and other complications, then he could be admitted to the hospital for observation and treatment.
What is Asthmatic Bronchitis
Asthmatic bronchitis is a condition that occurs in people who have been suffering from asthma and contract bronchitis or vice versa. The symptoms of both these conditions are more or less the same, and hence, it is difficult to distinguish between the two conditions. Asthma, bronchitis and asthmatic bronchitis can be triggered off due to several factors like smoking, exposure to air borne pollution like smoke, dust, pollen, mold, etc. As mentioned above, viral or bacterial infection is also one of the major causes of this condition. Asthmatic bronchitis or bronchial asthma is related to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) which occurs when a person suffers from severe and chronic difficulty breathing. The symptoms observed in people suffering from this condition are shortness of breath and difficulty in breathing, cough, chest tightness, wheezing, excess mucus production, etc.
Treatment for Asthmatic Bronchitis
Although asthmatic bronchitis is not a life-threatening condition, it is essential to take proper medical help in order to prevent the condition from becoming severe. The doctor will advise the person to use bronchodilators to clear the air ways, which will make breathing easier. Secondly, the doctor will also prescribe some corticosteroids and inhalers which will also help treat symptoms like shortness of breath and breathing difficulty. Apart from the treatment methods, there are several preventive measures that need to be followed to prevent activation of the condition. Smoking (active as well as passive) should be avoided completely; one should try to avoid exposure to smoke, dust, or use a face mask; one should vacuum regularly, and stay away from hairy pets.
Acute Bronchitis vs. Chronic Bronchitis
Acute bronchitis and chronic bronchitis are two different disease states. Learn the differences and symptoms associated with each. For more information visit, ...
Symptoms Difficulty in breathing, heaviness when inhaling the chest, persistent coughing, tightness when inhaling and exhaling, palpitation, and chest pains tend to be the most common symptoms one might experience. These are mostly the symptoms of pregnancy than any underlying illness. So, do not expect them to vanish overnight.
- Symptoms of Viral Lung Infection The symptoms of lung infection may vary from individual to individual.
- The symptoms may be moderate or severe, depending on the duration of the infection.
- Viral Lung Infection Cure
Difficulty in Breathing and Coughing
Very common symptom that can be easily observed by mother and father is trouble in breathing. Check that your child is not coughing coughing or even having any slight difficulty in breathing. Check for any physical changes or change in the body language of your son or daughter. Many a time, the unintentional intake of drinking water brings about coughing. If this type of coughing persists for a long time, it is quite possible that there is water in his/her lungs.