Cold Bronchitis: Chronic Cough with Phlegm
Cough is a sudden and repetitive reflex that helps clear the large breathing passages from secretions, irritants, foreign bodies, and microbes. It is important to note that, it is not a disease, but a self-defense mechanism of the body, which is triggered by the presence of unwanted particles in the respiratory tract. Coughing can be a voluntary or an involuntary action. Phlegm is a sticky, slimy secretion, produced to get rid of the foreign body. Phlegm, also called post nasal drip, is a manifestation of cold, sinusitis, and pneumonia, which leads to excessive mucus in throat. All of us have suffered from phlegm, which may be as a result of common cold, bronchitis, or an infection. Chronic cough and phlegm should not be neglected, as it can be a result of a serious lung condition. As a matter of fact, cough with phlegm is better than persistent cough with no secretion, as accumulation of phlegm can lead to chest infection or other health complications.
Though not very reliable, the phlegm color meaning helps in quick identification of the underlying reason for wet cough. While yellow or green mucus denotes infection in the respiratory tract or lungs, gray or brown phlegm is due to inhalation of dust, fumes, tar, and similar pollutants. Also, the consistency of the expectorate is checked in sputum examination to confirm the causes. If required, the doctor will suggest chest X-ray, blood tests, and other diagnostic tests to rule out severe diseases.
Nasal decongestants or sprays are often prescribed for people who have blocked nasal passages, which may be due to common cold, flu, or sinus infection. Also, inhaling steam and taking steam baths help in clearing nasal congestion and removing mucus efficiently.
Playing Wind Instruments: Wind instruments can be of great importance and help to increase lung power. Instruments, just like flute, clarinet, mouth body organ, saxophone, tuba, as well as oboe require good lung ability to try out elaborate songs, that too for a long duration. As you master the art of playing these instruments, your lung capacity will also increase; and you will learn to control breathing. Should you learn the right diaphragm breathing in techniques, which are needed to play these kinds of music instruments, it will help more. The same result can be achieved through singing. If you are a singer, you may adopt these measures with regard to growing lung capacity for vocal.
- Coughing is a type of reflex action that begins when the sensory nerves of the respiratory system are stimulated by different irritants.
- By coughing, the body tries to flush out the irritants and foreign particles that have entered the respiratory passage.
- Dry cough and wet cough are the two types of cough that people commonly suffer from.
- Dry cough can cause a lot of discomfort, especially in the night, and can also deprive the person of sleep and rest.
- It is common in children, but many adults, too, suffer.
- With the help of medications and remedies, it is essential to prevent it from turning into a persistent or chronic cough.
- Persistent, chronic dry cough can be very difficult to treat, and takes a long time to cure completely.
Causes of Productive Cough
The underlying causes of productive cough may be mild to severe. For example, chesty cough resulted due to common cold is easily treatable; whereas those caused due to emphysema or other chronic lung problems are life-threatening. Frequent exposure (or inhalation) to chemical irritants, smokes, fumes, environmental pollutants, and alike allergens may also trigger cough with phlegm. In most patients, productive cough is commonly manifested in the morning.
- Treatment It is necessary, that the cause of wet cough is detected to rule out any serious medical condition.
- The methods used to diagnose the condition include chest X-rays, sputum analysis, and blood tests.
High Altitude Training: You might have heard about some athletes living at higher altitudes, to build up an increased lung capacity. This is because, the amount of oxygen from higher altitudes is smaller than that on the sea level; as well as in order to compensate for this kind of, the body produces more red blood cells and hemoglobin. The body adapts to this condition and also the lung capability also boosts substantially. Hence, people coming from higher altitudes have a higher lung capacity as well as redcolored blood vessels count; and can sustain this for about Ten to fifteen days, once they reach ocean level. Nonetheless, it can be dangerous to go to high altitudes and train hard, as it may result in altitude sickness.
- The condition in which the scarring damage of the tissue present in the lungs takes place is known as lung scarring.
- It is similar to the scars on the skin.
- Many a time, the scars are usually of permanent dynamics.
- The lungs are able to endure minor surgical marks without causing any adverse effects to the body.
- There are two different type of scars: granulomas, and calcified.
- Different kind of lung infections give rise to granuloma scars.
- These types of scars do not have any harmful effects on the human body.
However, in Some Cases
When left untreated - it can give rise to calcified marks which could have an unwell effect on the body. Skin damage of the lungs from pneumonia is also common. Largely, pneumonia causes calcified skin damage. In simple phrases, pneumonia, as well as lung infections are a few causes that warrant their role in leading to scarring of the lungs. People in their forties and fifties are mainly affected with this disease. If a particular foreign materials does not fit the body, that can result in lung scarring.
Case of chronic conditions, wherein cough with phlegm do not show prompt results with the above mentioned natural remedies, it is imperative to take medical help, rather than resorting to self medication. After conducting diagnostic tests, the physician will prescribe therapeutic drugs appropriate for patient's condition.
You are wondering whether kennel cough is contagious to humans, after that the answer is no. Human beings are not susceptible to this particular computer virus, although the Bordetella will be a bit closer to herpes Bordetella pertussis, that causes whooping cough in humans. Give your dog the vaccine in time to ensure that it is never contaminated with that virus. After the shot is administered, have proper dog care so that it can recover faster from the side effects.
- Coughing alone is not actually a disease, but it is an indication of problems in the respiratory tract.
- In fact, a cough is a self-defense mechanism, triggered by the presence of any foreign or unwanted particles in the respiratory tract.
- And phlegm is nothing but the mucus secreted by the lungs in response to infection.
- Post nasal drip, a manifested symptom of cold, sinusitis and pneumonia may also result in phlegm buildup in the throat.
- When the mucus is expelled out of the body and becomes visible, it is called phlegm or sputum.
Home Remedies Remember, even after you have determined the cause, and your cough persists despite making use of the above-mentioned home remedies, it is recommended that you visit a doctor for further treatment.
Prognosis The most obvious symptom of this condition is trouble while breathing, when exerting oneself. But such a symptom does not alarm the individual, because he might feel he is not used to the exercise or just inactive. When breathing becomes difficult in simple, less strenuous activities, like walking or, even while sitting still or sleeping, that's when an individual realizes that something is wrong. The first step in diagnosing, is a physical examination. Standard tests are chest x-rays and a high resolution computerized tomography (HRCT). This lung condition is varied in type and each case has unique causes, so misdiagnoses can be made. The most accurate and final step in testing, is a lung biopsy, which carries out an extensive tissue sample analysis.
To sum up the difference between bronchitis and flu, here is a tabular comparison of the basic facts: Name\ Feature Flu Bronchitis Body Areas Affected Nose, throat and lungs Lungs Chemical Make-up RNA viruses Viruses and bacteria Who Is At Risk Elderly, infants, pregnant women, kidney, heart or lung disease victims Infants, seniors and smokers Types Influenza Type A, B, C Chronic and acute Duration days Acute - 1 week to a month, Chronic - 2-3 months in a year Complications Pneumonia, brain infection, bronchitis, sinus and ear infections Pneumonia, pulmonary hypertension.
Bronchitis or Pneumonia; How to Tell the Difference
Bronchitis and pneumonia are 2 common conditions in the cold weather. Symptoms can be very similar, and the 2 can overlap as well, sometimes making it ...
Apart from dextromethorphan, some physicians can recommend Sudafed for treating cough during pregnancy. The active ingredients of this cough medication are, pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine, which are decongestants. These two ingredients can affect the supply of blood to the placenta, if used frequently. Generally, pregnant women are advised to avoid these two decongestants, or the medications that contain them for the first 13 weeks of pregnancy to avoid any possible risk to the developing fetus. The risk of birth defects associated with the use of pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine during pregnancy is quite low, but it could be higher for women who smoke.
- Diagnosis The condition is generally diagnosed through an X-ray of the chest or a CT-scan.
- However, nowadays, chest computed tomography (CMT) is the most common method used to check the formation of bullae and their size.
- It has also been observed that patients with amyloidosis generally show an obvious formation of bullae.
- Researchers working in this field have referred to bullae as paper bags, which on getting filled assume a spherical shape.
- There is an internal gas exchange that keeps on happening within the bullae.
- This is the primary reason because of which the bullae do not take part in the respiration process though they stay in the path of the air passage.
- The formation of bullae in the lungs may take a bad shape and result in dyspnea.
- Is highly contagious as it is a good airborne disease, i.e., transmitted through the air.
- Particularly, the main one brought on by bacteria is more contagious than the other types.
Prevention is Better Than Cure and this Motto is Especially True for Influenza
Clean and hygienic environment and personal habits are the most important steps in preventing the flu. To reduce the infection risk even further, vaccination for children and adults is recommended. Bronchitis in the acute form is not dangerous and needs to run its course. To prevent chronic bronchitis, avoid smoking and air pollutants. In the matter of flu vs bronchitis, one aspect is clear - keep clean and at the first sign of trouble, visit a doctor.
Coughing and other such withdrawal symptoms can cause a lot of inconvenience to the individual and force him to relapse. These problems generally begin a day or two after he stops smoking and continue for 2 - 3 weeks. The fact that many people relapse during the first two weeks shows that coughing is one of the most severe nicotine withdrawal symptoms of the lot, such that despite being aware of these immediate effects, quitting is not easy.
Almost all of us have experienced productive cough, which may be because of a common cold, bronchitis, or other respiratory tract infections. Coughing up phlegm is rather a good sign, as accumulation of the same can lead to chest infections and other medical complications. Nevertheless, a chronic cough condition with phlegm that is discolored (yellow, rusty-brown, green, etc.) should not be neglected, as it can be a symptom of some serious lung ailments.
- Cough People suffering from this condition might also suffer from cough.
- In the initial stages, cough is going to be at a lower level that may after that improve as time passes.
- A significant declaration to be able to be made is about the type of cough.
- It is generally dried out, hacking cough that may seem to be minor; however, the intensity of spasmodic movements would improve with time.
Case of severe cough, you should have plenty of water and orange juice, until the symptoms are reduced. In addition to this juice fast, you should adopt an all-fruit diet for about 2-3 days. Follow a balanced diet that includes raw or lightly cooked vegetables, fresh fruits, and whole-grain cereals. Avoid consumption of meats, pickles, condiments, processed foods, sugar, coffee, tea, soft drinks, and all products that are prepared from sugar and white flour.
The problem of accumulation of fluid inside the lungs is detected with the help of chest X-ray. If it is diagnosed at an early stage, then it can be treated with the help of oral medicines. Doctors identify the underlying cause of fluid leakage and prescribe suitable medicines to treat that particular condition. However, in case, there is an excessive fluid build up within the lungs, the patient need emergency medical treatment where he or she is first put on a mechanical ventilator in order to restore supply of oxygen into the bloodstream. It is accompanied by administration of medicines to improve the heart function and removal of fluid from the lungs.
After identifying the signs and symptoms of the condition, it is a must in order to get in touch with the healthcare specialist to prevent further problems. Because the problem is nothing but the co-existence of asthma and respiratory disease, the treatment options which have been utilized are the same as used regarding asthma and bronchitis. Your doctor would ask you to use long acting bronchodilators such as salmeterol as well as formeterol, which helps in opening up the bronchial tubes and clear the mucous so that more air can pass by means of them. These long-acting bronchodilators tend to be taken together with taken in corticosteroids which helps in lessening the bothering signs and symptoms just like breathing problems as well as coughing. Oral medications may also be prescribed to control a few additional symptoms of the problem.
- To stop a sinus cough, you must strictly avoid all those allergens that can increase coughing.
- Smokers should stop smoking.
- Non-smokers should avoid exposure to secondhand smoking.
- There are some foods that increase mucus production.
- They are caffeine, desserts, dairy products, fatty foods, etc.
- When you are suffering from sinus cough, you must either stop eating all these substances or at least minimize their intake until the cough subsides.
- The worst part of a sinus cough is that it worsens at night as the post nasal drip drains at the back of the mouth when you lie done.
- Coughing at night can be controlled by elevating the head with a few extra pillows.
Dextromethorphan is Considered Safe to be Used During Pregnancy
However, one animal study has found dextromethorphan to cause birth defects in chick embryos. But this study is not considered very reliable, and hence dextromethorphan is usually considered safe for pregnant women. But pregnancy is the period where one needs to maintain a lot of precautions, and so, pregnant women should use the drugs that contain dextromethorphan only after consulting their physicians.
The Chinese look at bronchitis as an invasion of pathogens or perhaps a crash of the organs of the body. The pathogenic infection is known as an invasion of Wind Chilly, accompanied by a dry cough and whitish mucus. The Traditional chinese medicine prescribes the use of ginger herb in order to overcome this. Bronchitis, in which the mucus is actually yellow-green in colour, is named Wind Heat bronchitis, and organic formulas constituting fritillaria concentrated amounts and tricosanthis berry are of help in treating this particular.
The China extensively uses a mixture comprising many efficient herbs, who have long been used in The far east for medicinal purposes. It is important that you consult a herbalist before taking any of these medicines. Some other herbal treatments for bronchitis are These herbs are often combined with additional herbs to form a mixture so that the situation can be treated more effectively. It may be somewhat hard for you to prepare a mixture alone, so it is important that you check with a Chinese herbalist.
Influenza The symptoms of influenza and the common cold are similar, however the two diseases are not the same, with different effects on the body. It is caused by viruses made up of RNA (Ribonucleic acid), as opposed to the rhinoviruses and coronaviruses of the common cold. Influenza is not meant to be taken lightly. Its virus form and family can cause serious harm, in a short infection period. It kills between 3,300 - 50,000 people per year. Flu is extremely contagious in nature, as the viruses adapt and evolve into new strains on infection. The best example of this adaptation is swine flu, where the virus family combined from 3 different species (human, bird and pig), to create a deadly influenza strain. The range of contagion is anyone within 6 feet can pick up the flu from an infected person. This characteristic of influenza can cause epidemics and on a world-wide scale, cause a pandemic.
Other Than These Remedies, Certain Lifestyle and Dietary Changes are Also Advisable
Avoid consuming tobacco and excess of caffeine. So, cut down on your smoking, and make sure that you get enough exercise. Make it a point to go for a walk early in the morning. The fresh air will really make a big difference to your health. Take extra care during seasons when your symptoms worsen. These home remedies will make your immune system stronger and reduce the recurrent bouts of bronchitis.
- Each alveolus is surrounded by a system of capillaries that transport blood to the alveoli, for oxygenation.
- There's a very thin area existing between the walls of the alveoli and those from the capillaries.
- This interstitial space is named the blood-air barrier, and it is simply 0.5 m thick.
- The kennel cough contagious period can be from 2 - 3 weeks.
- It's contagious as long as the dog shows signs, i.e., as long as the disease exists.
- Consequently, it is essential to keep the infected puppies singled out for that entire period.