Reizhusten Bronchitis: Coughing at Night
Cough is a mechanism by which the body is able to throw away unwanted particles that have entered the throat and the lungs. One may experience intermittent bouts of coughing any time during the day, and is considered to be a protective response of the body that drives away all the undesirable debris from the respiratory system. However, coughing frequently everyday during nighttime is not normal and demands prompt medical attention. Be it children or adults, persistent night coughing gives a feeling of chest discomfort and disrupts a good night's sleep.
Coughing at night could also suggest that the heart is not functioning properly. To be precise, it might indicate the presence of congestive heart failure (CHF). People with CHF suffer from mucus producing cough. The mucus that is coughed up during heart problems is pinkish in color. Besides coughing up mucus, the patient may complain about trouble breathing, racing or pounding heart.
Massaging a chest rub in which eucalyptus is an active ingredient can provide relief for many hours. Keeping indoors clean, free from dust mites and other allergens can also stop episodes of nighttime coughing. In case the aforementioned remedies provide temporary relief, with night cough resuming again, then it is indicative of a serious health issue, and so the first priority should be to consult a competent doctor and take the necessary treatment as per the diagnosis.
- Postnasal drip is responsible for causing a sore throat, it can be relieved with the help of decongestants.
- If the pain in the throat is unbearable, you can take painkillers under the supervision of your physician.
- Nasopharynx: It connects the upper portion of the throat with the nasal cavity.
- Oropharynx: It is located between the soft palate and upper part of epiglottis.
- The gas exchange which takes place between pulmonary capillaries and alveoli is termed as pulmonary gas exchange.
- Movement of gas within pulmonary capillaries, towards peripheral capillaries and back to lungs is referred to as gas transport.
- The signs of chronic bronchitis include excessive mucus, cough, which gets even worse in the morning and in damp weather.
- Frequent respiratory infection can be one of the symptoms of this severe lung infection.
This procedure prescribed by many doctors works like a magic wand to stop coughing. You will notice the difference within minutes. Vicks VapoRub when used this way can stop coughing fits within 5-7 minutes, thus allowing the patient to have a good night's sleep. People experiencing persistent bouts of cough at night have found relief for quite some time after covering feet soles with Vicks VapoRub.
Treatment Gargling With Salt Water One can also get considerable relief from a bad, noisy cough that keeps everyone awake, by gargling several times with warm salt water. Mix half a teaspoon of salt properly into a cup of warm water and then gargle to reduce cough.
- Along with medications, a few simple home remedies can also help reduce coughing and throat soreness.
- For example, you can use slightly warm saline water to gargle your throat two to three times a day.
- Laryngopharynx: This part of the pharynx is located below the epiglottis.
- It opens into the esophagus and larynx.
- EpiglottisIt is a flap-like structure (epiglottis) which prevents food or water from entering the trachea at the time of swallowing.
- Steam inhalation is another effective remedy for a sore throat.
- It can help clear up the nasal passage, and promote the expulsion of mucus.
One also needs to take enough rest, and follow a healthy and balanced diet to accelerate the healing process. Many times, installing a humidifier can also provide some relief. But if your cough and throat soreness persist for several days, or if these are accompanied by a high-grade fever, severe pain in the throat, rash, enlarged or swollen lymph nodes in the neck, and blood in saliva, be sure to evaluate the condition immediately with the help of your physician.
Excess mucus production is often responsible for causing chest congestion and persistent cough. Steam inhalation provides an easy way to reduce mucus build up and improve cough. This simple home remedy liquifies the mucus, which facilitates mucus drainage from the lungs.
- The left lung is divided into 2 lobes (superior and inferior) while the right lung into 3 (superior, inferior and middle).
- Each lung possesses a triangular organ called hilum; blood vessels, nerves, lymphatics and bronchi pass through the hilum.
- AlveoliThe alveoli are sac-shaped bodies present inside the lungs, at the tip of alveolar ducts.
- The alveoli function like an interface for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide between lungs and capillaries.
- Medicines Tessalon Perles (Benzonatate) is a drug that is prescribed for people suffering from persistent coughing at night.
- This oral medication can suppress and even stop cough caused due to allergies and colds.
- Tessalon Perles is a great remedy for chronic dry cough.
- This drug has been very effective to relieve cough, however, consultation with a doctor is essential before taking this medicine.
- This is because the drug is not suitable for certain medical conditions like asthma.
- Even pregnant women and children less than 10 years old are advised to stay away from this drug.
Acute bronchitis can also start with a dry cough, which is then followed by the production of a small amount of white or yellow sputum, wheezing, a sore throat, fever, shortness of breath, and a burning sensation in the chest. Bronchitis refers to the inflammation of the mucous membranes of the bronchi. Bronchitis can be acute or chronic. Acute bronchitis is usually caused by viral or bacterial infections, while chronic bronchitis is caused by smoking or long-term occupational exposure to irritating fumes or dust.
- The symptoms of bronchitis last longer in children, it is better to get medical opinion.
- Since bronchitis is, in some cases, infectious, it is better to keep the child away from other kids, to stop the infection from spreading.
Causes and Symptoms
This is a highly-contagious and common health problem. It is a viral infection which is characterized by the upper respiratory system inflammation. There are several agents which are responsible for this infection. The most common among them are the parainfluenza virus, Bordetella bronchiseptica, and mycoplasma. The former is an airborne virus which is present in almost every dog. This infection usually spreads from one dog to another, especially in a place like a dog show or a kennel. The infection that is present in the lungs of the dog is released into the air when the infected dog coughs or sneezes. If another dog is present nearby, then that dog becomes infected as well. Some of the major kennel cough symptoms are as follows. However, do not worry as there is a vaccine for this illness.
Problems in the Heart Valves In some forms of valve diseases, the valves do not open up or close properly and part of the blood is always drawn towards the lungs or it moves backward through the valve. Free flow of blood into the heart is also not possible when a valve becomes narrow. Therefore, the pressure in the left ventricle increases as it tries to put extra efforts during each contraction to pump out maximum amount of blood into the lungs. The pressure, thus built up, also exerts a force on the left atrium and the pulmonary veins which causes fluid in the lungs.
Lung infections that include bronchitis or pneumonia can also be responsible for causing night cough. Bronchitis, a viral infection, typically brings swelling of the bronchi, tubes that transport air to and from the lungs. The inflammation narrows the air passages, making it difficult to breathe properly. Occurrence of dry or phlegm producing cough will depend on how far the infection has affected the respiratory tract. In case the colonization of the virus remains restricted to the lower respiratory tract, persistent dry cough is the likely outcome. Mucus generating cough lasting for a minimum period of 3 months point towards chronic bronchitis. People affected with interstitial lung diseases and other conditions like idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, bronchiectasis and tuberculosis also tend to cough incessantly at night.
Bring the water to a boil and reduce the heat. Let it simmer for fifteen minutes, before you take it off heat. Sipping on the hot ginger root tea, not only helps in healing the signs and symptoms, but also helps in opening up the nasal passages. You can also add aniseed tea to reduce the mucous. Inhaling steam is also known to relieve cough and its symptoms in an effective way. Adding a few drops of eucalyptus or tea tree oil to the hot water, while taking steam drains excess mucus and clears the nasal passage. This particular treatment can be taken by children and also elders alike. In addition to these kinds of remedies, you should use alternative natural cough depressent of the, like feeding the child chicken soup.
- Corniculate cartilage facilitates the flap-like action of epiglottis.
- TracheaThe trachea, also known as windpipe, extends from larynx to bronchi.
- In fact, the trachea gets branched into bronchi.
- It facilitates the flow of air towards the bronchi.
- Dos and Don'ts If cough and congestion is caused due to common cold, the symptoms should clear within 1-2 days.
- If not, then the underlying cause may be severe.
Asthma patients may get relief from cough and breathing problems by inhaling corticosteroids. On the other hand, people suffering from bronchitis are able to effectively manage their symptoms with broncho-dilators, medications that help to dilate airways and ease breathing.
Mentholated products like Vicks VapoRub can be rubbed on the chest to get temporary relief from the symptoms. If you have not been able to sleep comfortably due to nasal stuffiness, then consider sleeping in a slightly elevated position by putting some pillows at the top end of your mattress. Apart from these, you can try some safe remedies like honey added to a glass of warm water or a glass of orange or lemon juice. A warm shower, steam inhalation, drinking hot soup, and zinc lozenges are some other simple ways to get rid of the problem.
Case of pulmonary fibrosis, the elastic properties of the lungs get affected due to the replacement of elastin by collagen. Collagen is not as elastic as elastin, which affects the ability to lungs to stretch or expand. This leads to reduced compliance. On the other hand, emphysema is characterized by damage to the elastic tissue of the alveolar sacs in the lungs due to enzymes secreted by leukocytes (white blood cells). Smokers are at a high risk for emphysema. The secretion of enzymes occurs due to exposure to irritants from cigarette smoke.
Emphysema leads to poor elastic recoil, which in turn leads to high lung compliance. People affected by emphysema find it harder to exhale or expel air out of the lungs. As a result, they experience shortness of breath. At times, the alveolar sacs could become filled with fluid due to edema, which in turn might be observed in case of pneumonia or left-sided heart failure. This will also result in reduced lung compliance.
- Over-the-counter medicines just suppress the symptoms and do not completely cure the underlying cause.
- Therefore, it is essential to get the underlying cause diagnosed properly before opting for any medications.
- Laryngitis The inflammation of the larynx or the voice box is referred to as laryngitis.
- It can be caused by upper respiratory infections or an overuse of the voice box by singing or shouting.
- A dry and sore throat, hoarseness or loss of voice, and cough are the common symptoms of this condition.
- Children can experience croup, a type of hoarse, barking cough due to laryngitis.
Respiratory issues such as common cold, seasonal flu and sinus infection are commonly accompanied by postnasal drip, a condition in which abnormally high secretion of mucus in the nasal activity (nostrils) that eventually travels down to the throat. The excess mucus build up gives a feeling of lump in the throat. People with post nasal drip cough frequently, especially at night, which actually helps to remove mucus and clear the throat.
Confusion and Sluggishness
If the kid seems confused and has difficulty within realizing verbal instructions, or has trouble inside expressing their own thoughts subsequent inadvertent water consumption, he/she is demonstrating a symptom of dried up drowning. An emergent deficiency of energy, or extreme fatigue is also a significant sign. Vomiting and involuntary laxation are also considered to be important symptoms.
All kids respond to unintentional consumption of water by coughing, and also most of the time by sobbing and rubbing their eyes. The primary sign that guardians should keep an eye on is persistent coughing which continues for an extensive amount of time, or often long after the water has been taken in. If the coughing remains for about 20-30 minutes after inhalation of water, it might be an indication of drinking water in the lungs.
- Mononucleosis Also known as the 'kissing disease', mononucleosis spreads through contact with the saliva of the infected individual.
- This viral disease is characterized by fever and enlarged lymph nodes, especially in the neck and the armpits.
- This infectious disease can also cause swollen tonsils, fatigue or malaise, skin rash, and headaches.
- Mononucleosis is caused by the Epstein-Barr virus, and is more common in teenagers and young adults.
- Sometimes, a sore throat and dry cough can occur simultaneously, while at other times, a dry cough can follow a sore throat.
- This condition can be alleviated or treated effectively once the underlying cause/causes are discerned.
- So, let's find out the factors or conditions that can cause a sore throat and dry cough.
Exposure to allergens, which can be air borne particles such as dust and pet dander during nighttime can also lead to sudden bouts of coughing. The immune system considers allergens as harmful substances, and so when they are inhaled, they irritate the respiratory tract. The irritation causes accumulation of mucus in the respiratory tract. To get rid of this mucus buildup, the person may excessively cough temporarily. Apart from forceful coughing, contact with allergens can also cause itchy watery eyes and congested nose.
- Another home remedy for these two conditions is lemon juice.
- Add a few drops of honey to it and drink the mixture.
- You can also mix about 1 to 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar in a glass of water, and drink the mixture to get relief from the soreness.
A sore throat and dry cough can also be associated with smoking, inhalation of foreign particles or irritants, sinus infections, and postnasal drip. In postnasal drip, the nasal mucosa produces excess mucus, which then accumulates in the throat or back of the nose. This can cause a sore throat and cough. Apart from these, gastroesophageal reflux disease can produce soreness in the throat and a dry cough, besides causing difficulty in swallowing.
Viral infections affecting the upper respiratory tract such as common cold and seasonal flu too can trigger barking cough in adults at night. In addition to night cough, these medical conditions are typically marked by sore throat, fever and body aches. Even after the viral infection associated with common cold has gone away, the patient may continue to experience dry cough that aggravates during nighttime and may last for quite a few weeks.
Bruised Ribs Healing Time
Bruised ribs are notorious for their long recovery time. Unfortunately, unlike other bones of the body, ribs cannot be put in a cast, which is why we need to wait for them to recover on their own. Standard healing time for bruised ribs will be anywhere between 3 to 6 weeks. However, some may take even lengthier. The specific healing time required will vary depending on the severity of the bruise and muscle injury. Those involved in sports activities or physically strenuous jobs, will need to offer a few more weeks for the bruised rib in order to heal completely. They need to wait for the environmentally friendly signal from the doctor before getting back to work.
The larynx, also known as sound box, is formed of cartilages. Epiglottis, thyroid and cricoid are the three important cartilages of larynx; other cartilages present inside the larynx are corniculate, arytenoid and cuneiform.
Compliance = Change in Volume Change in Pleural Pressure Lung Compliance Curve Static and Dynamic Compliance Lung compliance can be classified into two types: static compliance and dynamic compliance. The former represents pulmonary compliance during periods without gas flow, such as during an inspiratory pause. It can be calculated with the formula:
Researchers say that almost all smokers know the implications smoking has on their health, but it is difficult for them to give it up as they are addicted to it. Awareness about the ill-effects of smoking can educate a smoker, but it takes a lot of effort to get rid of this addiction. There are several programs that can help one to quit smoking, including medication and therapies. It is very difficult to wake up one morning and decide that you are not going to smoke, instead you should take the help of a counselor who can help you in getting over this addiction gradually.
Cough suppressants are the medications that suppress the urge to cough. Another type of cough medicine is expectorant. The basic difference between an expectorant and a cough suppressant is that the expectorant thins the mucus and promotes its expulsion, while a cough suppressant reduces or suppresses the urge to cough.
The time required for complete recovery from pneumonia is usually between 2 weeks to 2 months depending on the severity of the infection, and the immune system of the individual who has contracted the disease.
- Trachea lies to the anterior side of the esophagus; it is tubular in shape with a diameter of 1 inch. and length of 4.25 inch.
- Its length spans between the 6th cervical and 5th thoracic vertebrae.
- Consuming foods at night that you are allergic to can also cause persistent cough.
- For instance, many have the habit of drinking milk before retiring to bed.
- However, if they are allergic to dairy products, they may cough persistently throughout the night.
Treatment of Dry Cough and Sore Throat The treatment of these two conditions depends on the underlying causes. If these are caused by bacterial infections, then antibiotics can be used. Cough suppressants and throat lozenges can also help reduce the soreness in the throat.
Sometimes, a sore throat can be accompanied by cough, which can be productive or non-productive. A non-productive cough is also known as a dry cough, which can be identified by the absence of phlegm or sputum production, unlike a productive cough.
Home Remedies to Stop Coughing In case the cough persists for more than 3-4 days, or is accompanied with other symptoms, it is recommended to consult the doctor immediately. Secondly, it is also advised to take medication only after consulting the doctor.
Lastly, note that nearly all the respiratory disorders can be treated by avoiding smoking and exposure to air pollutions. Secondly, following a balanced diet, and exercising regularly will help in boosting immunity which also helps in keeping infections at bay. Take care!
- Elastic tension increases during inspiration and decreases due to recoil during expiration.
- Lung compliance is inversely proportional to elastic resistance.
- The elastic forces that are responsible for lung compliance include:
Increase Water Intake
Drinking plenty of water also provides the same effect. Consuming adequate water throughout the day helps to thin out the mucus, making it easier to drain. So, at night one may get relief from chest congestion and cough.
Dry cough is best treated with the help of home remedies that are effective and safe as well. Natural ingredients are to be used for these remedies. They provide long term relief and also prevent it from reoccurring. The above treatment and remedies should be followed as soon as dry cough is developed. If it is persistent or chronic, medical assistance should be sought for it, and once it has been cured, make sure you take appropriate measures to prevent it from recurring.
Richtig Husten und Abhusten 1, Übungen aus der Atemtherapie
Tipps und Tricks aus der atemtherapeutischen Praxis für ein besseres Husten und Abhusten. Für Menschen mit chron. Beschwerden wie Asthma, COPD, chron.
One of the home remedies is to gargle with warm salt water. Turmeric may also be added to it. Drinking herbal tea will also help in dislodging the mucus. Inhaling steam, and steam bath also prove to be helpful in cleaning nasal congestion and coughing up mucus efficiently. It is advocated, that you try to drink as much of fluids as you can, as drinking a lot of essential fluids will help in loosening the mucus. It is recommended to reduce the consumption of dairy products, meat, and fried foods, when you are coughing up phlegm. You may also want to stay away from any allergens, to ensure that the situation is not aggravated.