Wet Cough: Chronic Asthmatic Bronchitis
You cautiously monitor the definition of 'asthmatic bronchitis', it consists of two pulmonary diseases, 'asthma' and also 'bronchitis', both of them being listed under the category of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases (COPD). Bronchitis is a condition in which swelling happens in the bronchial pontoons which are meant to supply air to and also from our own lungs. This inflammation can result in narrowing of the airways which can lead to breathing difficulties. On the other hand, asthma also leads to narrowing with the airway muscles because of irritation.
When both these problems co-exist together, it is known as asthmatic bronchitis. The prefix of the definition of 'chronic' signifies that the problem has become highly persistent that it has led to extreme obstruction inside the bronchial tubes. Mucus production is also observed in this condition causing wet cough and wheezing. Are you currently wondering if asthmatic bronchitis is contagious? Although, bronchitis is unquestionably transmittable, chronic asthma suffering bronchitis isn't considered to be a contagious condition!
- Coughing is a type of reflex action that begins when the sensory nerves of the respiratory system are stimulated by different irritants.
- By coughing, the body tries to flush out the irritants and foreign particles that have entered the respiratory passage.
- Dry cough and wet cough are the two types of cough that people commonly suffer from.
- Dry cough can cause a lot of discomfort, especially in the night, and can also deprive the person of sleep and rest.
- It is common in children, but many adults, too, suffer.
- With the help of medications and remedies, it is essential to prevent it from turning into a persistent or chronic cough.
- Persistent, chronic dry cough can be very difficult to treat, and takes a long time to cure completely.
barking and wet cough
Treatment Regarding Smooth in Bronchi and Heart Failure
In recent years, more effective medicines have been made available to deal with fluid filled lungs. Antibiotics help get rid of the infection. Improved quality of pacemakers and implantable defibrillators help improve the function of the heart and lungs. Diuretics usually are approved as they help reduce the fluid in lung area. Some drugs improve the pumping capacity of the heart. Surgery can repair blockage of the coronary arteries, a valve issue, a congenital heart defect, or a too thick pericardium. The option of heart transplant can be acquired if your heart's capability to pump blood will be permanently marred. Quick supply of oxygen or synthetic ventilation is a part of the emergency remedy. The procedure should be so designed that the fluid should not again get accumulated in the lungs.
Wet cough could be the frustrating express that makes your ribs, back and arms hurt. The neck will be painful as well as all the people you is bothered by the constant noise. It is a respiratory infection and ordinarily starts off as a dry cough, and graduates to the "wet cough" stage. There may be a number of reasons for this cough to occur and the procedure depends on these factors.
Home Remedies Remember, even after you have determined the cause, and your cough persists despite making use of the above-mentioned home remedies, it is recommended that you visit a doctor for further treatment.
Cough is a sudden and repetitive reflex that helps clear the large breathing passages from secretions, irritants, foreign bodies, and microbes. It is important to note that, it is not a disease, but a self-defense mechanism of the body, which is triggered by the presence of unwanted particles in the respiratory tract. Coughing can be a voluntary or an involuntary action. Phlegm is a sticky, slimy secretion, produced to get rid of the foreign body. Phlegm, also called post nasal drip, is a manifestation of cold, sinusitis, and pneumonia, which leads to excessive mucus in throat. All of us have suffered from phlegm, which may be as a result of common cold, bronchitis, or an infection. Chronic cough and phlegm should not be neglected, as it can be a result of a serious lung condition. As a matter of fact, cough with phlegm is better than persistent cough with no secretion, as accumulation of phlegm can lead to chest infection or other health complications.
- Help your child do a salt water gargle.
- To make the solution, simply mix 1/2 teaspoon of table salt in a glass of lukewarm water, and stir.
- Note: Salt water gargle is most suitable for kids aged 4 and above.
- Food allergies are not very well-known in causing chest congestion; however, their impact is eminent in nature.
- Increased levels of histamine in the lungs causes the individual to succumb to this trouble.
- As histamine is produced in the lungs, the soft tissue become inflamed; thereby, restricting the airways.
- Known to be a chemical in the body, histamine protects the body from infection; however, it can cause inflammation.
- When you ingest the food item you are allergic to, the immune system reacts to the proteins in that food, treating them as harmful.
- The body reacts by creating Immunoglobulin E (IgE) -- antibodies that defend it.
- The production of IgE antibodies causes cells in the lungs to produce histamine.
- There are some people who are allergic to milk and other dairy products.
- They cause allergic asthma in an individual.
Make a Paste of Basil Leaves and Honey
Give this mixture to your child whenever he/she has a cough. Soak some almonds in water overnight, and the next morning make a paste out of them. Mix this paste with honey, and give it to your child whenever he/she has a cough.
- There are high chances of kennel cough being contagious to people who are in close contact with the infected pet.
- On the other hand, people with a weakened immune system, like babies, children or old people are at a higher risk of contracting the disease.
- When one develops bronchitis, it can be in an acute form occurring due to a bacterial, or viral infection.
- It is mostly a viral infection, and hence, antibiotic therapy is not of much use.
- Pneumonia, on the other hand, can occur due to a variety of factors.
- It can either be community-acquired infection, or a nosocomial infection.
- It, generally affects immunocompromised individuals, like children, the elderly, pregnant women, etc.
- The main causative agent of pneumonia is the bacterium called Streptococcus pneumoniae.
Prognosis The most obvious symptom of this condition is trouble while breathing, when exerting oneself. But such a symptom does not alarm the individual, because he might feel he is not used to the exercise or just inactive. When breathing becomes difficult in simple, less strenuous activities, like walking or, even while sitting still or sleeping, that's when an individual realizes that something is wrong. The first step in diagnosing, is a physical examination. Standard tests are chest x-rays and a high resolution computerized tomography (HRCT). This lung condition is varied in type and each case has unique causes, so misdiagnoses can be made. The most accurate and final step in testing, is a lung biopsy, which carries out an extensive tissue sample analysis.
Almost all of us have experienced productive cough, which may be because of a common cold, bronchitis, or other respiratory tract infections. Coughing up phlegm is rather a good sign, as accumulation of the same can lead to chest infections and other medical complications. Nevertheless, a chronic cough condition with phlegm that is discolored (yellow, rusty-brown, green, etc.) should not be neglected, as it can be a symptom of some serious lung ailments.
Other than these remedies, certain lifestyle and dietary changes are also advisable. Avoid consuming tobacco and excess of caffeine. So, cut down on your smoking, and make sure that you get enough exercise. Make it a point to go for a walk early in the morning. The fresh air will really make a big difference to your health. Take extra care during seasons when your symptoms worsen. These home remedies will make your immune system stronger and reduce the recurrent bouts of bronchitis.
There could be other symptoms together with those mentioned above. Choking or gagging is a manifestation of treatment plans, and if it lasts for more than two minutes, then it is a sign of danger. Sweaty pores and skin or change in color of skin tend to be some other signs which may be seen. A blue tinge on the mouth or perhaps a pale-bluish color on face is a crucial symptom. This is an indication of lack of oxygen in the blood. In some cases, toddlers get rid of their particular awareness.
Cough, whether dry or wet, can take a lot out of your child's body. Although, you may not always prevent the condition from affecting your child, you can surely reduce the risks. One of the simple ways of doing it is by maintaining personal hygiene, and helping your kids learn to do the same.
The Best Natural Remedies for CoughBronovil Cough Relief Set includes homeopathic drops and natural supplement, formulated to help target the source of upper respiratory inflamation. Bronovil consists of the highest quality botanical active ingredients that have been scientifically formulated to work synergistically for the best results. Bronovil's active ingredients have been used safely for hundreds of years to support healthy lungs and respiratory system, helping in reducing inflammation and cough and support respiratory health. Now they are all integrated into this special cough formula. Reducing inflammation and supporting healing has been proven to eliminate the symptoms related to upper respiratory infections.
Click Here to Read More »
Other conditions associated with a nocturnal dry cough or a dry cough that aggravates at night include: Self-Care Measures Treatment of dry cough depends on its underlying cause. That is why, it is crucial to determine what is causing the cough, and take appropriate measures for treating it. Apart from following a doctor's advice, the following self-care measures can be taken to reduce discomfort and manage the symptoms.
The problem of accumulation of fluid inside the lungs is detected with the help of chest X-ray. If it is diagnosed at an early stage, then it can be treated with the help of oral medicines. Doctors identify the underlying cause of fluid leakage and prescribe suitable medicines to treat that particular condition. However, in case, there is an excessive fluid build up within the lungs, the patient need emergency medical treatment where he or she is first put on a mechanical ventilator in order to restore supply of oxygen into the bloodstream. It is accompanied by administration of medicines to improve the heart function and removal of fluid from the lungs.
Nasal decongestants or sprays are often prescribed for people who have blocked nasal passages, which may be due to common cold, flu, or sinus infection. Also, inhaling steam and taking steam baths help in clearing nasal congestion and removing mucus efficiently.
To sum up the difference between bronchitis and flu, here is a tabular comparison of the basic facts: Name\ Feature Flu Bronchitis Body Areas Affected Nose, throat and lungs Lungs Chemical Make-up RNA viruses Viruses and bacteria Who Is At Risk Elderly, infants, pregnant women, kidney, heart or lung disease victims Infants, seniors and smokers Types Influenza Type A, B, C Chronic and acute Duration days Acute - 1 week to a month, Chronic - 2-3 months in a year Complications Pneumonia, brain infection, bronchitis, sinus and ear infections Pneumonia, pulmonary hypertension.
Poor physical health is not the only reason behind occurrence of this cold sensation that causes shivering without fever. People suffering from emotional problems like anxiety disorders (panic attacks) could get this sudden cold feeling from time to time. Visible shivering is often considered as a body's natural response to fear resulting from anxious thoughts. Nervousness, dry mouth and a reduction in body temperature also accompany during anxiety disorders.
Prevention is better than cure and this motto is especially true for influenza. Clean and hygienic environment and personal habits are the most important steps in preventing the flu. To reduce the infection risk even further, vaccination for children and adults is recommended. Bronchitis in the acute form is not dangerous and needs to run its course. To prevent chronic bronchitis, avoid smoking and air pollutants. In the matter of flu vs bronchitis, one aspect is clear - keep clean and at the first sign of trouble, visit a doctor.
- Drink a lot of Fluids: Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day.
- Be it soups, herbal teas, or plain warm water.
- Drinking lots of fluids will thin the mucus and make coughing up white mucus easier, also it will decrease the span of infection.
Risks of Whooping Cough
As mentioned above, due to the availability of advanced treatment methods and vaccination, the chances of contracting whooping cough is relatively less. Secondly, due to the same reasons, the chances of death occurring due to whooping cough are further lessened. According to the statistics, deaths occurring due to whooping cough are as low as 0.2% of the total cases. However, this does not mean that there cannot be any possibility of death. As there are reported deaths caused due to this disease, one should be aware of the whooping cough risks and take care in order to prevent them.
Coughing at Night Cough is a mechanism by which the body is able to throw away unwanted particles that have entered the throat and the lungs. One may experience intermittent bouts of coughing any time during the day, and is considered to be a protective response of...
- Symptoms The principal signs of this condition are cough and shortness of breath (SOB).
- SOB can be termed as dyspnea.
- The patient affected by SOB, experiences unpleasant sensations in the respiratory tract.
- Bell Pepper: Bell pepper is a natural expectorant.
- So, add it to your diet, and try to eat at least one meal in a day which has bell pepper in it.
- It will help to thin out the mucus, and it will be easy to cough it out.
- Coughing alone is not actually a disease, but it is an indication of problems in the respiratory tract.
- In fact, a cough is a self-defense mechanism, triggered by the presence of any foreign or unwanted particles in the respiratory tract.
- And phlegm is nothing but the mucus secreted by the lungs in response to infection.
- Post nasal drip, a manifested symptom of cold, sinusitis and pneumonia may also result in phlegm buildup in the throat.
- When the mucus is expelled out of the body and becomes visible, it is called phlegm or sputum.
Case of chronic conditions, wherein cough with phlegm do not show prompt results with the above mentioned natural remedies, it is imperative to take medical help, rather than resorting to self medication. After conducting diagnostic tests, the physician will prescribe therapeutic drugs appropriate for patient's condition.
- As it is an airborne disease, cats can also get infected with kennel cough.
- Although cats do not show symptoms like cough, they can have a runny nose and fever.
Popular Home Remedy to Manage Cough is Chewing Ginger
Every night before going to bed, put a small piece of freshly cut ginger in your mouth, and chew it slowly and swallow the juice. Also, you can prepare a paste of ginger and honey, and use it whenever needed.
Though not very reliable, the phlegm color meaning helps in quick identification of the underlying reason for wet cough. While yellow or green mucus denotes infection in the respiratory tract or lungs, gray or brown phlegm is due to inhalation of dust, fumes, tar, and similar pollutants. Also, the consistency of the expectorate is checked in sputum examination to confirm the causes. If required, the doctor will suggest chest X-ray, blood tests, and other diagnostic tests to rule out severe diseases.
When we all eat food, that passes from the throat, through a tube referred to as the esophagus as well as in to the stomach exactly where it is broken down. Prior to it enters the stomach though, it has to pass through a small opening between the stomach and the esophagus. This distance closes as soon as the food passes into the stomach. If this type of space won't close fast enough, the acids from the stomach can travel back to the esophagus and trigger acid reflux. In addition to leading to bloating and burning in the stomach and chest, it can also lead to coughing with acrid belching.
Coughing and other such withdrawal symptoms can cause a lot of inconvenience to the individual and force him to relapse. These problems generally begin a day or two after he stops smoking and continue for 2 - 3 weeks. The fact that many people relapse during the first two weeks shows that coughing is one of the most severe nicotine withdrawal symptoms of the lot, such that despite being aware of these immediate effects, quitting is not easy.
- Teach your child the proper way to gargle.
- Even better, help him/her practice with plain water first.
- Remember to tell your child not to swallow the saline solution but to spit it out, after gargling with it.
Dextromethorphan is Considered Safe to be Used During Pregnancy
However, one animal study has found dextromethorphan to cause birth defects in chick embryos. But this study is not considered very reliable, and hence dextromethorphan is usually considered safe for pregnant women. But pregnancy is the period where one needs to maintain a lot of precautions, and so, pregnant women should use the drugs that contain dextromethorphan only after consulting their physicians.
This is a side effect which has now become a common symptom of expectorants not suiting you. You may suffer from sleeplessness or temporary insomnia, due to which you are drowsy and sleepy during the rest of the day. It is however, necessary that a suppressant be prescribed for the nighttime so that the individual may have a peaceful sleep, as he is not disturbed by the constant spasmodic coughing.
- Fenugreek Fenugreek seeds are rich in mucilage, lipids, and protease inhibitors, and is used to treat sore throat.
- It also helps to remove mucus and phlegm from the air passages.
- Dry or wet cough is not a disease but a symptom of some other medical conditions that might affect the body.
- It may interfere with sleep, and daily functioning of the affected person.
- In most cases, a dry cough (also known as a non-productive cough) usually worsens at night.
- Treatment It is necessary, that the cause of wet cough is detected to rule out any serious medical condition.
- The methods used to diagnose the condition include chest X-rays, sputum analysis, and blood tests.
- Mix 5-10 grams of donkey-hide gelatin in hot water.
- Let the mixture cool down, and drink.
- You can also use wine, instead of water.
- This is a traditional Chinese home remedy used to relieve dry cough and other common illnesses.
Hospitalized patients may be at a greater risk of getting infectivity due to their weakened immune system. Regarding a person affected by a infection, it has been seen that there is a likelihood of germs dispersing to be able to others actually a couple of days after the patient begins the course of antibiotics. So, it would be best to avoid contact with a person who has been diagnosed with a lower respiratory tract infection. The patients' must also make an effort to stop the infection from dispersing to others.
Covering their face while coughing or even sneezing will help to a great extent. Members of the family will need to take precautions till the patient recovers through the infection completely. Several viruses that could cause lung infections may also easily spread to others via physical make contact with. There is a great chance of one developing an infection if one's immune system has already been weak. If you recently restored from a sickness, make sure that you stay away from contact with anyone who has been diagnosed with chilly, flu, or pneumonia.
- Constipation Constipation may be one of the side effects of expectorants.
- The inability to have smooth bowel movement may be disrupted for a few days, till the individual consumes the expectorant.
- You may also experience diarrhea, a contrary condition, which affects the gastrointestinal system.
- To stop a sinus cough, you must strictly avoid all those allergens that can increase coughing.
- Smokers should stop smoking.
- Non-smokers should avoid exposure to secondhand smoking.
- There are some foods that increase mucus production.
- They are caffeine, desserts, dairy products, fatty foods, etc.
- When you are suffering from sinus cough, you must either stop eating all these substances or at least minimize their intake until the cough subsides.
- The worst part of a sinus cough is that it worsens at night as the post nasal drip drains at the back of the mouth when you lie done.
- Coughing at night can be controlled by elevating the head with a few extra pillows.
- Lobelia Lobelia is the Indian tobacco, which is a highly toxic herb.
- Therefore, it is always recommended in very small doses.
- It is used to treat respiratory conditions such as asthma, bronchitis, and severe coughing.
- Diagnosis The condition is generally diagnosed through an X-ray of the chest or a CT-scan.
- However, nowadays, chest computed tomography (CMT) is the most common method used to check the formation of bullae and their size.
- It has also been observed that patients with amyloidosis generally show an obvious formation of bullae.
- Researchers working in this field have referred to bullae as paper bags, which on getting filled assume a spherical shape.
- There is an internal gas exchange that keeps on happening within the bullae.
- This is the primary reason because of which the bullae do not take part in the respiration process though they stay in the path of the air passage.
- The formation of bullae in the lungs may take a bad shape and result in dyspnea.
Whenever preschoolers swallow water unintentionally, they will commence coughing as if to throw up the water. If this coughing lasts for a longer time than usual, say up to half an hour, it is possible that the absorbed water has arrived at the lungs. Parents must be careful in the event that any other connected symptoms shows up and with this. One other thing to be noted is that they also cry a good deal and rub their eye balls frequently when water has been consumed.