Bronchitis Pictures: Cough Medicine During Pregnancy
Is often said that one should not suffer from any respiratory illness such as common cold or cough during pregnancy. This is because the medicine that one uses for treatment can influence the baby's health. Pregnant women are extremely worried to take any medicine as they are concerned about its effects on the baby. Their concern is indeed feasible as it is observed that certain medications used for the treatment for cough can harm the fetus.
Costochondritis This is a lung disease that causes a lot of burning in the chest and is brought on by the inflammation of the cartilage and bones in the chest wall. When the sternum (the point joining the rib bones and the breast bones) becomes inflamed and irritated, it can cause a lot of pain and can be accompanied by varied degrees of cough. Costochondritis could be brought on by a fungal or bacterial infection and can lead to a severe cough with a burning chest to follow. Other than that, a trauma incident wherein there is an injury suffered that affects the sternum can also lead to an inflammation of the chest, chest congestion and cause bouts of cough and burning sensations in the chest region.
- Most of the lung diseases pointed out in the aforementioned list can be cured and prevented from continuing.
- However, there are several which are irreparable and are only able to be managed with the help of medicines and therapy.
- Taking correct preventive steps and take care of our own lungs only adds years to life.
- After all, these organs tend to be the ones which can be primarily responsible for supplying the life span giving 'oxygen' to every part of the body.
- Caution Always keep in mind these cough medications which provide temporary relief have to be used for a maximum of 2-3 days.
- Using it for a longer duration is certainly not advisable.
- Also, these are over the counter cough medicines and can be purchased without prescription.
- However, consulting the doctor is extremely important, so as to know the exact dosage of these medications.
Doctors Express Medical Minute: Is it Bronchitis or Pneumonia?
Bronchitis is a respiratory disease in which the mucus membrane in the lungs' bronchial passages becomes inflamed. As the irritated membrane swells and ...
- Hytuss This cough medicine is available in a capsule form and also helpful to bring down the cough.
- It contains only guaifenesin which can relieve the discomfort associated with unproductive cough.
- The accumulation of sticky mucus in the lungs as a result of cold or flu, causes chest congestion.
- The guaifenesin ingredient in Hytuss, is quite effective to thin the mucus, so that it can be coughed up easily.
Symptoms AECB worsens the symptoms associated with chronic bronchitis like cough and torso congestion. Sometimes, shortness of breath and wheezing, (a whistling sound made throughout breathing due to the congestion of the air passages) could be noticed. If a bacterial infection is the cause of AECB, then your mucus is usually heavier than usual and is greenish or yellowcolored in color. Sometimes, blood can also be observed in the mucous. Bacterial or infections can also cause a fever and also an increase in the volume of sputum.
- Mullein Mullein constitutes coumarin and hesperidin, that have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiviral, bactericidal, and fungicidal properties.
- It has been used as an alternative medicine to cure respiratory problems.
Adverse Effects of Dosing Expectorants It is essential that you examine the directions carefully nicely and only next consume the syrup and adhere to the dosage. It has been noted that for many, expectorants work just fine, however, they may not really satisfy the requirements plus cause negative effects for some.
- Cough As we all know, coughing during a lung infection is the body's way of throwing out the accumulated mucus in the respiratory tract.
- In such cases, buying a medicine that contains an expectorant can help to expel the built up mucus in the lungs.
- On the other hand dry cough is treated with a medication containing suppressants, that are known to suppress the cough.
- So, exactly what does breathing problems have to do with the functioning of the heart?
- Well, the organ systems of the body perform collectively.
- The respiratory system does work in tandem with the circulatory system, which the heart is definitely a key organ.
- The heart is the water removal organ that supplies deoxygenated blood to the lungs.
- The oxygen-enriched blood from the lungs is then carried by the blood vessels to various parts of the body.
- If the heart's pumping capacity is actually affected by any condition, the lungs may become overloaded.
- Fluid build up in the lungs and the heart may give rise to symptoms such as cough, shortness of breath or wheezing.
Cough Medicine During Pregnancy
Following are the medications found to be reliable during pregnancy: Robitussin When it comes to relieving cough during pregnancy, Robitussin is a trusted brand. Robitussin is commonly recommended by doctors and pharmacists to reduce cough in pregnant women. Depending upon the cough syrup strength, different ingredients have been added. However, to be on the safer side, doctors often recommend cough medicine that contains only one ingredient. So, go for 'Robitussin plain' as the only ingredient in it is dextromethorphan, which assists to suppress the cough. This ingredient has been analyzed carefully in laboratories and found to be safe for consumption in pregnant women. Studies show that pregnant women taking dextromethorphan in the right dosage does not cause any birth defects. Pregnant women suffering from dry cough can take this medicine.
While getting a chilly and a cough once in about 5 weeks is completely normal and healthy, a chronic cough can have several implications. In fact, there are more than 250 reasons for a person to experience acute or chronic moist cough. However, this article comprises the most common ones and they are as follows:
An expectorant works towards helping the cough to be able to regurgitate through the process of weakening the strength of the particular mucous. Expectorants are cough syrups that make it easier for the person to pay out the mucous which may, as the cough progresses, cause a sore throat, a feeling of heaviness in the chest and difficulty in breathing. Expectorants might treat common cold and cough with the result that congestion in the chest takes place and also they are also prescribed for acute bronchitis; an air passage inflammation inside the lungs.
Expectorants may decrease the possibilities of common cough becoming chronic through seeping into the system and cleaning the buildup of mucous. With the expectorants being helpful in their own respective way, there have been instances when the cough syrup has had side effects associated with making trouble while using respiratory and the intestinal system. In this article, we explicate the various expectorant side effects.
All-Natural Remedies for Bronchial CoughBronovil Cough Relief Package contains soothing homeopathic drops, and natural supplement, formulated to help target the source of upper respiratory infection. Bronovil contains only the highest quality botanical ingredients that have been clinically developed to deliver optimum results. Bronovil's ingredients have been used for many years to support healthy lungs and respiratory system, help reducing inflammation and cough and support respiratory health. Now they are all combined into this unique cough formula. Minimizing inflammation and supporting healing has been shown to ease the symptoms associated with upper respiratory infections.
Click Here to Learn More »
Process that is commonly useful for treating aspiration pneumonia in children or adults is a procedure referred to as bronchoscopy. With the help of this method, the doctor is able to view the inside of the lungs' airways. To execute this, a doctor inserts a long versatile tube referred to as bronchoscope (with an eye piece at one end, and light resource at the other) into the lungs through the nose or oral cavity. But before this particular, the patient is normally given a drug that would help in numbing the neck, so that the procedure can be carried out easily. So if you take a closer look at the lung tissues, the doctor is able to detect the presence of any foreign matter, lung infection, or other diseases.
Well, this cough medicine is not a syrup nor an oral tablet. It is available as a topical ointment and one has to simply apply it on chest to lessen coughing. It contains medicated vapors that help to relieve cough. VicksVapo drops is also a useful remedy for cough and sore throat.
You may use cup honey, 1 " lemon " (juice), and 1 tablespoon of glycerin. In a saucepan, heat the lemon juice without bringing it to a boil. Now, include sweetie and glycerin for the heated lemon juice. Mix thoroughly and serve in a clean jar. Refrigerate for around 5 hours as well as take 2 tablespoons on this syrup once a day to get relief.
- Mucinex This is yet another FDA approved medicine that can provide a considerable amount of relief from chest congestion during pregnancy.
- This is one ingredient medication and contains guaifenesin.
- Guaifenesin is basically an expectorant that helps in thinning mucus secretions, which can be easily expelled through coughing.
Types of Fungal Lung Infection
Pulmonary aspergilloma affects the open spaces in the body. They occupy the space or cavities in the lungs created by the preexisting lung disorder. In some cases, the infection may also spread to the ear canals and sinuses. The infection often resembles a tangled mass, which consists of fungus fiber, white blood cells and blood clots. When the condition is not treated, it is seen, that the ball grows in size and destroys the lung tissue.
Can Pneumonia Trigger Back Pain
Not so many people are aware, but, back pain is one of the lesser known signs of pneumonia. As lungs tend to be infected, one activities back and chest pain when suffering from this disease. You may be aware that the symptoms of pneumonia and bronchitis, both respiratory disorders, appear very similar. But, note that tightness of the chest can be seen in the event of bronchitis; whereas, in pneumonia, you experience chest and lumbar pain. It is a major unique factor between the two.
Is observed that taking cough medication that contain antihistamines or iodine are not safe in pregnant women. Even prescription cough medicines contain either dextromethorphan or guaifenesin. On the whole, remember that the overdose of any cough syrup can cause health problems in the unborn baby. So as a precautionary measure, one should first contact a health care provider to know which cough medicine is FDA approved and safe during pregnancy.
Viral Bronchitis Bronchitis, caused by particular viruses or bacteria, is a respiratory disease, and is considered as a serious health condition. Viral bronchitis is a lot more prevalent than microbial bronchitis. Regarding viral attack, infection inside lungs leads...
Bronchitis The bronchi are airways or pontoons, that allow for the passage of air coming from and into the lungs. When they become swollen or painful, after that bronchitis is said to have occurred. You can produce acute bronchitis, which is a short-term condition or chronic bronchitis, which is important as a life-threatening lung disease. Acute bronchitis is normally a viral infection. In rare cases, germs tend to be the cause of the particular bronchitis. When a person is sick with influenza or frequent cold, after that his condition could worsen, and spread to be able to his lungs in the form of bronchitis. Chronic bronchitis is a more serious and life-long condition of the lungs. Extented irritation of the delicate cells in the bronchi can cause permanent harm to this area, resulting in long-term effects like thick mucus and a deep cough. Smoking is the prevalent cause for chronic bronchitis.
For Acute Bronchitis
The symptoms of severe bronchitis contain cough, running nose, fever, and pain in the chest. The first and foremost step is always to relieve these signs. Drinking turmeric mixed in a glass of warm milk can help relieve congestion in the chest. A mixture of ground ginger, pepper, cloves, and honey can be warmed slightly as well as consumed. Take just one tsp. at a time. It is a very effective natural remedy for a number of other respiratory issues. Bay leaf tea is equally effective in treating severe bronchitis. In short, the golden rule is to drink warm fluids. You can also try ground almond mixed in orange juice, as a long-term calculate to curb bronchitis symptoms. Yarrow and marshmallow can be incorporated in the diet, as they are said to be good for preventing the situation.
Case of habitual smokers, with considerable lung damage, the wise thing to do would be to enroll in a lung detoxification program. As the accumulated toxins are being removed or coughed out, the color of mucus would start changing. Once the remnants of tar have been removed, the mucus you may cough or spit out would be bereft of black or brown specks. If, however, violent coughing persists or you see blood in mucus after quitting smoking, the wise thing to do would be to consult a doctor at the earliest. Sputum analysis, blood tests, chest X-ray and other imaging procedures would help the doctors assess the extent of damage caused due to smoking. Doctors may also provide you with some tips on tackling the smoking withdrawal symptoms.
Damage Within the Heart Muscle
In heart disease, the arteries that carry blood to the heart get narrowed down because of large amounts of fat placed on its walls. In the event that the problem of high blood pressure is ignored and unattended, it increases the chances of coronary heart disease. Formation of blood clot within any of these narrow arterial blood vessels leads to heart attack, that results in clog of blood flow and damage in the heart muscle. Hence, the heart muscle is destabilized and yes it cannot pump enough blood.
- This problem, the pressure increases in the veins and capillaries in the lungs which forces the blood fluid to fill into the oxygen sacs.
- The same thing happens in cardiomyopathy the location where the heart muscle of the left ventricle becomes weak and enlarged.
- The exact cause of cardiomyopathy is not yet known.
- In some people, it has been found to be hereditary.
- Some other possible factors that add toward this particular heart muscle disease are some infections, toxic effects of drugs or alcohol abuse.
Salt Acts as a Diluent
This thins the blood vessels and increases its volume. Picture this kind of, because of bronchitis your airways have become inflamed and thin, you are trying to breathe tougher to take a breath a specific amount of oxygen along with each and every breath. Your heart has recently got burdened by pumping the oxygen-deficit bloodstream.
Remedies with regard to Children Spinach soups with pepper and ginger will be a highly effective remedy for bronchitis in kids. Incorporate this kind of soup in the child's diet plan. Prepare a drink utilizing a paste of ground almonds and poppy seeds, combined with honey and dairy. Let your child consume a glass on this drink everyday, before bedtime. This drink is not only good for bronchitis, but is also good for the functioning of the brain. Daily practice of yoga may also help children with bronchitis. A decoction of fenugreek seeds, in addition to some ginger root and honey is very effective for bronchitis.
- You need to boil two teaspoons of fenugreek seeds in a liter of water and let it simmer for half an hour.
- When the decoction is prepared, strain it and mix a teaspoon of honey and fresh ginger juice.
- Consume this drink once during the morning and evening.
- You can also use a mustard poultice and apply it on the child's chest for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Provide your youngster apparent chicken soup with ginger and garlic.
- Even fresh chicken stock with a lot of pepper and also ginger herb is good.
- Basil This herb has antibacterial and antiviral properties, that help soothe an inflamed throat .
- A cup of basil-infused herbal tea is recommended to help clear the mucus from the nose.
- However, this herb is not advisable for pregnant women.
Each disease is actually unique in either signs, treatment options or body part affected. Some diseases are actually complications of another disorder, if it is allowed to worsen. Confusion between symptoms is a common problem for doctors and patients alike. Take the case of bronchitis and influenza. Both contain coughing, tenderness in the throat plus a runny nose among their symptoms, despite the fact that they have an effect on different entire body locations. A misdiagnosis of any disease is not good, especially with the flu being highly contagious. In this article, we consider a great in-depth look into bronchitis versus flu comparison.
Other signs and symptoms include: Trouble within breathing and feeling as if the consumption of air is not enough
- Skin Rash Your skin can become prone to rashes and may cause you to feel tickly.
- Rashes with inflammation on the skin is often a side effect that has been observed.
- Swelling of certain parts of the body are often experienced.
- While sleeping, keep your head in a heightened position.
- This kind of helps in clearing the sinus pathways and depleting the nasal passages.
- This will also help you get rid of the 'ticklish' sensation in your throat.
- Coughing is caused due to sudden irritation in the air passage or as a reflex action for any nervous or a gastric disorder.
- A normal cough will make itself appear upon the production of phlegm, where, the body will involuntarily try to cough up the phlegm.
- People may also suffer from cough after eating ice cream or after eating and drinking other cold food products.
- However, if it happens to be of a chronic nature then this is something that has to be examined without delay.
- Would be better to avoid these processed products and provide some rest to your digestive system while recovering.
- High-Sodium Products
Hoarseness Decrease within power to exercise Chills, shaking, and fast heartbeat Cough that keeps on recurring
- Treatment Suggestions regarding Aspiration Pneumonia The treatment aims at getting rid of the foreign chemical that has been aspirated.
- Also, additional procedures are performed to reduce problems.
A person is said to have developed chronic bronchitis if he/she continues to experience the above symptoms daily and for at least three months. And if this continues for two years in a row, then it is a confirmed case of chronic bronchitis. In this case, the cough becomes more severe than before, and the patient may find it more difficult to breathe as the condition worsens. Other symptoms that may surface include headaches, muscle aches, and cyanosis. Chronic bronchitis is mostly caused due to smoking and not any infections. So, if fever occurs along with the above symptoms, then it may indicate a secondary bacterial or viral infection.
Signs as Well as Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of chronic bronchitis can vary greatly in severity from person to person. One of the major symptoms is cough with green or yellowish-gray mucous. Some other signs are because follows:Chronic bronchitis can cause particular problems such as repeated and severe respiratory infections, difficulty in breathing, consolidating and plugging of the bronchi and disability. It may be associated with some other symptoms for example swelling of the feet (edema), abnormal lung signs as well as heart failure. The symptoms of chronic bronchitis may resemble other medical conditions associated with respiratory system. Therefore, a correct diagnosis is very important to get an appropriate and quick medical treatment.