Bronchitis Medikament: Chronic Bronchitis Effects
Lungs are the respiratory organs of the human body. They contain tube like structures called the bronchial tubes or airways through which the air passes. When the airways are exposed to tobacco, dust, or other chemical substances for a long period of time, it is likely that a person may develop bronchitis.
Chronic bronchitis is primarily caused by cigarette smoking, bacterial or viral infections, and air pollution, and long-term fume inhalation. It can also appear as a symptom of asthma, tuberculosis, sinusitis and pulmonary emphysema. Is chronic bronchitis contagious? No. If you have chronic bronchitis, people around you, will not get infected. But you can get chronic bronchitis, if people around you smoke, and you end up inhaling a lot of second-hand smoke. As estimated 9.9 million Americans have been diagnosed, with chronic bronchitis.
- Nasopharynx: It connects the upper portion of the throat with the nasal cavity.
- Oropharynx: It is located between the soft palate and upper part of epiglottis.
- Trachea lies to the anterior side of the esophagus; it is tubular in shape with a diameter of 1 inch. and length of 4.25 inch.
- Its length spans between the 6th cervical and 5th thoracic vertebrae.
- Marshmallow Marshmallow roots and leaves contain a gummy substance called mucilage.
- It is mixed with water to form a gel, which may be applied to the throat to reduce irritation.
- Drink a lot of Fluids: Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day.
- Be it soups, herbal teas, or plain warm water.
- Drinking lots of fluids will thin the mucus and make coughing up white mucus easier, also it will decrease the span of infection.
Lung infections that include bronchitis or pneumonia can also be responsible for causing night cough. Bronchitis, a viral infection, typically brings swelling of the bronchi, tubes that transport air to and from the lungs. The inflammation narrows the air passages, making it difficult to breathe properly. Occurrence of dry or phlegm producing cough will depend on how far the infection has affected the respiratory tract. In case the colonization of the virus remains restricted to the lower respiratory tract, persistent dry cough is the likely outcome. Mucus generating cough lasting for a minimum period of 3 months point towards chronic bronchitis. People affected with interstitial lung diseases and other conditions like idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, bronchiectasis and tuberculosis also tend to cough incessantly at night.
Coughing at night could also suggest that the heart is not functioning properly. To be precise, it might indicate the presence of congestive heart failure (CHF). People with CHF suffer from mucus producing cough. The mucus that is coughed up during heart problems is pinkish in color. Besides coughing up mucus, the patient may complain about trouble breathing, racing or pounding heart.
Asthma Asthma is a genetic disease that has an effect on a person because beginning. There are numerous drugs and medications that are useful in controlling the symptoms of asthma. However, with a persistent morning cough there is usually not significantly that someone can perform. There are inhalers available in the market that an asthmatic person uses to get settlement, though the performance of these inhalers is subject to a lot of debate. In most cases they only provide temporary relief.
- Type II epithelial cells are cells that line the inner walls of the alveoli as well as the lung airways.
- The construction of the lung will be in a way that inflation of an alveolus tends to increase the inflation of the one next to it (interdependence).
- These cells factors account for about one-third of the compliance behavior of the lung.
- On the other hand, the liquid air surface tension elastic forces in the alveoli help with two-third of the lung capacity.
- Dry or wet cough is not a disease but a symptom of some other medical conditions that might affect the body.
- It may interfere with sleep, and daily functioning of the affected person.
- In most cases, a dry cough (also known as a non-productive cough) usually worsens at night.
Other conditions associated with a nocturnal dry cough or a dry cough that aggravates at night include: Self-Care Measures Treatment of dry cough depends on its underlying cause. That is why, it is crucial to determine what is causing the cough, and take appropriate measures for treating it. Apart from following a doctor's advice, the following self-care measures can be taken to reduce discomfort and manage the symptoms.
Asthma patients may get relief from cough and breathing problems by inhaling corticosteroids. On the other hand, people suffering from bronchitis are able to effectively manage their symptoms with broncho-dilators, medications that help to dilate airways and ease breathing.
- The gas exchange which takes place between pulmonary capillaries and alveoli is termed as pulmonary gas exchange.
- Movement of gas within pulmonary capillaries, towards peripheral capillaries and back to lungs is referred to as gas transport.
- Food allergies are not very well-known in causing chest congestion; however, their impact is eminent in nature.
- Increased levels of histamine in the lungs causes the individual to succumb to this trouble.
- As histamine is produced in the lungs, the soft tissue become inflamed; thereby, restricting the airways.
- Known to be a chemical in the body, histamine protects the body from infection; however, it can cause inflammation.
- When you ingest the food item you are allergic to, the immune system reacts to the proteins in that food, treating them as harmful.
- The body reacts by creating Immunoglobulin E (IgE) -- antibodies that defend it.
- The production of IgE antibodies causes cells in the lungs to produce histamine.
- There are some people who are allergic to milk and other dairy products.
- They cause allergic asthma in an individual.
Cstat = VT Pplat - PEEP Cstat stands for static compliance. VT stands for tidal volume and Pplat stands for plateau pressure that is measured at the end of inhalation and prior to exhalation using an inspiratory hold maneuver. PEEP stands for positive end expiratory pressure.
Viral infections affecting the upper respiratory tract such as common cold and seasonal flu too can trigger barking cough in adults at night. In addition to night cough, these medical conditions are typically marked by sore throat, fever and body aches. Even after the viral infection associated with common cold has gone away, the patient may continue to experience dry cough that aggravates during nighttime and may last for quite a few weeks.
Antihistamines Antihistamines may also help to relieve an allergic cough. When a person is exposed to an allergen, the body cells secrete a chemical known as histamine, which is responsible for causing bothersome symptoms. Taking prescription antihistamine such as Benadryl and 'Robitussin Allergy and Cough Syrup' is effective to stop the release of histamines, thereby helping to reduce or prevent allergy symptoms.
- The exchange of gases between tissues and tissue capillaries is referred to as peripheral gas exchange.
- The facts presented in this article give us a rough idea of the anatomy and functioning of the respiratory system.
- The information about different organs in the respiratory system should allow you to understand their structure and functions in a better manner.
Treatment Gargling With Salt Water One can also get considerable relief from a bad, noisy cough that keeps everyone awake, by gargling several times with warm salt water. Mix half a teaspoon of salt properly into a cup of warm water and then gargle to reduce cough.
Elastin and collagen fibres from the lung tissue Elastic forces with the fluid or the surfactant secreted by the type II epithelial cells
- Corniculate cartilage facilitates the flap-like action of epiglottis.
- TracheaThe trachea, also known as windpipe, extends from larynx to bronchi.
- In fact, the trachea gets branched into bronchi.
- It facilitates the flow of air towards the bronchi.
- Laryngopharynx: This part of the pharynx is located below the epiglottis.
- It opens into the esophagus and larynx.
- EpiglottisIt is a flap-like structure (epiglottis) which prevents food or water from entering the trachea at the time of swallowing.
- Allergy to molds can also cause this health issue.
- Dust mites and molds have a higher degree of infestation, especially during winters.
- Dust mites are spider-like creatures that are invisible to the naked eye.
- They are found predominantly on bedding.
Popular Home Remedy to Manage Cough is Chewing Ginger
Every night before going to bed, put a small piece of freshly cut ginger in your mouth, and chew it slowly and swallow the juice. Also, you can prepare a paste of ginger and honey, and use it whenever needed.
This Procedure Prescribed by Many Doctors Works Like a Magic Wand to Stop Coughing
You will notice the difference within minutes. Vicks VapoRub when used this way can stop coughing fits within 5-7 minutes, thus allowing the patient to have a good night's sleep. People experiencing persistent bouts of cough at night have found relief for quite some time after covering feet soles with Vicks VapoRub.
Exposure to allergens, which can be air borne particles such as dust and pet dander during nighttime can also lead to sudden bouts of coughing. The immune system considers allergens as harmful substances, and so when they are inhaled, they irritate the respiratory tract. The irritation causes accumulation of mucus in the respiratory tract. To get rid of this mucus buildup, the person may excessively cough temporarily. Apart from forceful coughing, contact with allergens can also cause itchy watery eyes and congested nose.
Dry Cough in Children Coughing is the body s natural way of getting rid of foreign substances from the throat and respiratory tract. Given that, an occasional cough is normal and means no harm. However, a cough that stays for several weeks, does signal something severe....
- The left lung is divided into 2 lobes (superior and inferior) while the right lung into 3 (superior, inferior and middle).
- Each lung possesses a triangular organ called hilum; blood vessels, nerves, lymphatics and bronchi pass through the hilum.
- AlveoliThe alveoli are sac-shaped bodies present inside the lungs, at the tip of alveolar ducts.
- The alveoli function like an interface for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide between lungs and capillaries.
- Dos and Don'ts If cough and congestion is caused due to common cold, the symptoms should clear within 1-2 days.
- If not, then the underlying cause may be severe.
Cough is a mechanism by which the body is able to throw away unwanted particles that have entered the throat and the lungs. One may experience intermittent bouts of coughing any time during the day, and is considered to be a protective response of the body that drives away all the undesirable debris from the respiratory system. However, coughing frequently everyday during nighttime is not normal and demands prompt medical attention. Be it children or adults, persistent night coughing gives a feeling of chest discomfort and disrupts a good night's sleep.
- When one develops bronchitis, it can be in an acute form occurring due to a bacterial, or viral infection.
- It is mostly a viral infection, and hence, antibiotic therapy is not of much use.
- Pneumonia, on the other hand, can occur due to a variety of factors.
- It can either be community-acquired infection, or a nosocomial infection.
- It, generally affects immunocompromised individuals, like children, the elderly, pregnant women, etc.
- The main causative agent of pneumonia is the bacterium called Streptococcus pneumoniae.
Coughing is such a common symptom which is caused by so many different conditions, that in order to accurately ascertain and diagnose the specific cause will be something which requires some time and careful observation. Traveling to a doctor to identify a persistent cough in the days is a good idea as it may help in the diagnosis of a serious condition with a pretty earlier express. Failure to do so may increase the seriousness of the condition in the future.
Treatment Once microbe involvement is verified, antibiotics are usually prescribed to be able to get rid of the bacteria and stop the germs from multiplying any further. It is extremely important that the patient completes the entire course of antibiotics. If the patient doesn't abide by to the rules regarding use of drugs, serious bronchitis may progress to persistent bronchitis. Doctors could also recommend painkillers and also anti-inflammatory drugs. Smoking or indulging in any activity that stresses the immune system may slow down the healing.
One must therefore, refrain from any this kind of activity and take proper rest in order to allow the body to recover. Generally, doctors stick to characteristic method for alleviating the particular signs and symptoms in which someone could be exhibiting. Bronchodilator inhalers may be recommended in order to prevent shortness of breath, especially for those suffering from asthma, reactive airway disease or other lung conditions. Using decongestants may be recommended in order to discharge cough.
Cough suppressants are often not recommended, but if the patient is suffering from violent coughing that's depriving him/her of sleep, a cough suppressant may be prescribed. Natural remedies such as steam inhalation or nasal irrigation may also be helpful in expelling the mucus and clearing the congestion. One must stay well-hydrated in order to compensate for the loss of fluids that occur as a result of overcrowding.
Pneumonia Pneumonia can be defined as the inflammation of the tissues of one or both lungs (excluding bronchi) as a result of viral, bacterial, or fungal infection. The signs of pneumonia contain chills, fever, cough, shortness of breath, chest pain, and a sore throat.
Change in lifestyle behavior as well as some other actions can stop the appearance of this particular cough. Nevertheless, if the problem persists or appears to worsen over time it might be better to go check out a health care provider. He will know very well what the exact cause of your own cough is. Ignoring this problem for a long time can be a risky proceed for you though, as it may indicate the presence of an illness that will only get worse over time.
- Medicines Tessalon Perles (Benzonatate) is a drug that is prescribed for people suffering from persistent coughing at night.
- This oral medication can suppress and even stop cough caused due to allergies and colds.
- Tessalon Perles is a great remedy for chronic dry cough.
- This drug has been very effective to relieve cough, however, consultation with a doctor is essential before taking this medicine.
- This is because the drug is not suitable for certain medical conditions like asthma.
- Even pregnant women and children less than 10 years old are advised to stay away from this drug.
Post Nasal Drainage
Now here is a cause that make a difference just about anyone in their sleep. It is simply out of the control of the individual involved and not much can be done about it. The consolatory fact is that the cough vanishes by itself after a short while. What basically happens is that the mucous in the sinuses slowly empties in reverse into the back regions of the throat, and thus causes a lot of irritation there. Since the mucus journeys back, treatment plans gets zoomed when the person is lower, and therefore experiences cough after getting out of bed in the morning.
Dry cough is best treated with the help of home remedies that are effective and safe as well. Natural ingredients are to be used for these remedies. They provide long term relief and also prevent it from reoccurring. The above treatment and remedies should be followed as soon as dry cough is developed. If it is persistent or chronic, medical assistance should be sought for it, and once it has been cured, make sure you take appropriate measures to prevent it from recurring.
Causes and Symptoms
This is a highly-contagious and common health problem. It is a viral infection which is characterized by the upper respiratory system inflammation. There are several agents which are responsible for this infection. The most common among them are the parainfluenza virus, Bordetella bronchiseptica, and mycoplasma. The former is an airborne virus which is present in almost every dog. This infection usually spreads from one dog to another, especially in a place like a dog show or a kennel. The infection that is present in the lungs of the dog is released into the air when the infected dog coughs or sneezes. If another dog is present nearby, then that dog becomes infected as well. Some of the major kennel cough symptoms are as follows. However, do not worry as there is a vaccine for this illness.
Institut für klinische Forschung GmbH - Ballenberger, Freytag, Wenisch (Unternehmensfilm)
http://www.bfw-institut.de Das Institut für klinische Forschung unter der Leitung der Prüfärzte Ballenberger und Freytag führt klinische Studien für die weltweit ...
Massaging a chest rub in which eucalyptus is an active ingredient can provide relief for many hours. Keeping indoors clean, free from dust mites and other allergens can also stop episodes of nighttime coughing. In case the aforementioned remedies provide temporary relief, with night cough resuming again, then it is indicative of a serious health issue, and so the first priority should be to consult a competent doctor and take the necessary treatment as per the diagnosis.
Excess mucus production is often responsible for causing chest congestion and persistent cough. Steam inhalation provides an easy way to reduce mucus build up and improve cough. This simple home remedy liquifies the mucus, which facilitates mucus drainage from the lungs.
The larynx, also known as sound box, is formed of cartilages. Epiglottis, thyroid and cricoid are the three important cartilages of larynx; other cartilages present inside the larynx are corniculate, arytenoid and cuneiform.
Kennel cough can be caused by viruses and (or) bacteria, but it has been noted that most cases of kennel cough are caused by the bacteria called Bordetella bronchiseptica, which infect the windpipe of dogs (bordetellosis). Among the viral agents of this disease, parainfluenza virus is the most common. Dogs with viral kennel cough may also develop bacterial (Bordetella) infection simultaneously.
- Lobelia Lobelia is the Indian tobacco, which is a highly toxic herb.
- Therefore, it is always recommended in very small doses.
- It is used to treat respiratory conditions such as asthma, bronchitis, and severe coughing.
- Fenugreek Fenugreek seeds are rich in mucilage, lipids, and protease inhibitors, and is used to treat sore throat.
- It also helps to remove mucus and phlegm from the air passages.
Can be a Little Different for Children
While older children have the ability and senses to spit out the mucus, younger children will swallow it. This tends to cause upset stomachs and stomach aches. While the infection will not really spread to the stomach, the discomfort for the child will increase. Persistent coughing in children can also be due to whooping cough. Hence, it is very important that one contacts the doctor at the earliest.
Poor physical health is not the only reason behind occurrence of this cold sensation that causes shivering without fever. People suffering from emotional problems like anxiety disorders (panic attacks) could get this sudden cold feeling from time to time. Visible shivering is often considered as a body's natural response to fear resulting from anxious thoughts. Nervousness, dry mouth and a reduction in body temperature also accompany during anxiety disorders.
Many people find themselves on a regular basis getting up to a morning cough that does not seem to be to go away. This should not be a cause for panic generally because it is quite a common occurrence. The intensity of the cough can needless to say be determined by the severity of the condition, but all-in-all it just lasts for a short while after getting up in the morning. It is important though will be to ascertain the cause and consider preventive measures.
- Consuming foods at night that you are allergic to can also cause persistent cough.
- For instance, many have the habit of drinking milk before retiring to bed.
- However, if they are allergic to dairy products, they may cough persistently throughout the night.
- Over-the-counter medicines just suppress the symptoms and do not completely cure the underlying cause.
- Therefore, it is essential to get the underlying cause diagnosed properly before opting for any medications.
- Mix 5-10 grams of donkey-hide gelatin in hot water.
- Let the mixture cool down, and drink.
- You can also use wine, instead of water.
- This is a traditional Chinese home remedy used to relieve dry cough and other common illnesses.