Difference Croup Bronchitis: Difference Between Bronchitis and Bronchiolitis
The human respiratory system consists of anatomical structures that act as passageway for inhaled air. The air that we breathe in, flows through the nasal passage and travels through the pharynx, larynx and the trachea. The trachea or the windpipe branches further into the right and left bronchial tubes. The bronchial tubes branch out into smaller branches that are called bronchioles. Clusters of tiny sacs, also referred to as alveolar sacs, are located at the end of the bronchioles. These sacs are surrounded by thin-walled capillaries.
The oxygen from these tiny sacs is passed on into the capillaries, while carbon dioxide from the capillaries is released into the sacs, and is then exhaled out. While the air supplies us with the life-giving oxygen, there are unwanted environmental irritants, allergens or pathogens that we may inhale. Inhalation of these substances can cause inflammation of the airways. The terms 'bronchitis' and 'bronchiolitis' refer to the inflammation of the bronchi and bronchioles respectively. Now that you have a basic idea about the anatomy of the respiratory system, let's learn about the difference between bronchitis and bronchiolitis.
- Is often said that one should not suffer from any respiratory illness such as common cold or cough during pregnancy.
- This is because the medicine that one uses for treatment can influence the baby's health.
- Pregnant women are extremely worried to take any medicine as they are concerned about its effects on the baby.
- Their concern is indeed feasible as it is observed that certain medications used for the treatment for cough can harm the fetus.
- Hytuss This cough medicine is available in a capsule form and also helpful to bring down the cough.
- It contains only guaifenesin which can relieve the discomfort associated with unproductive cough.
- The accumulation of sticky mucus in the lungs as a result of cold or flu, causes chest congestion.
- The guaifenesin ingredient in Hytuss, is quite effective to thin the mucus, so that it can be coughed up easily.
Well, this cough medicine is not a syrup nor an oral tablet. It is available as a topical ointment and one has to simply apply it on chest to lessen coughing. It contains medicated vapors that help to relieve cough. VicksVapo drops is also a useful remedy for cough and sore throat.
- Cough As we all know, coughing during a lung infection is the body's way of throwing out the accumulated mucus in the respiratory tract.
- In such cases, buying a medicine that contains an expectorant can help to expel the built up mucus in the lungs.
- On the other hand dry cough is treated with a medication containing suppressants, that are known to suppress the cough.
Benefits of Taking Herbal Tea
A number of benefits of herbal tea can be availed by the consumption of this beverage. Herbal tea can be used as a remedy for dry as well as wet (or productive) cough. Here are some of the positive effects of taking a cup of herbal tea. These herbal teas can also be given to children. Sipping hot herbal tea and inhaling the steam emanating from it, helps control the symptoms and also speeds up the recovery time of this respiratory illness.
Is observed that taking cough medication that contain antihistamines or iodine are not safe in pregnant women. Even prescription cough medicines contain either dextromethorphan or guaifenesin. On the whole, remember that the overdose of any cough syrup can cause health problems in the unborn baby. So as a precautionary measure, one should first contact a health care provider to know which cough medicine is FDA approved and safe during pregnancy.
- Caution Always keep in mind these cough medications which provide temporary relief have to be used for a maximum of 2-3 days.
- Using it for a longer duration is certainly not advisable.
- Also, these are over the counter cough medicines and can be purchased without prescription.
- However, consulting the doctor is extremely important, so as to know the exact dosage of these medications.
Symptoms as Well as Diagnosis
In a majority of cases, viruses arise as the most popular causal microorganisms responsible for causing bronchitis. Acute bronchitis is signified by a rapid onset of particular symptoms that take care of within a couple of weeks. On the other hand, regarding chronic bronchitis, the symptoms may last up to four months. The signs of acute bacterial bronchitis include sore throat, runny nose, yellowish-green sputum, chills, wheezing, lumbar pain, malaise, a fever and also fatigue.
Because the signs of bacterial bronchitis are similar to these knowledgeable during cold or flu, certain diagnostic tests would be required in order to formulate a diagnosis. The tests that physicians rely on for bacterial bronchitis analysis include sputum analysis and nasal lifestyle. These assessments can help in revealing the nature of the infection as well as help in the identification of the microorganism that may be responsible for causing the infection. Chest X-ray and blood tests may also be done in order to assess the effect of this infection on the lungs and the overall health of the patient.
- One of the most common risk or side effect that can occur in people suffering from whooping cough is secondary infection.
- The infection in the lungs can worsen and lead to bacterial pneumonia.
- You must be aware that pneumonia of any kind can be serious and life-threatening.
- Therefore, more than 50% of the cases of the total number of deaths caused due to whooping cough, are caused due to bacterial pneumonia.
- It should be noted that the effects of bacterial pneumonia are more pronounced and severe in babies and children.
Natural Treatments for Cough
For mild cough, it is always better to make use of the organic cough suppressants. But once again, not all natural remedies are safe to be used continuously for a long time, especially while pregnant. Honey is a natural remedy for cough that can be used by pregnant women. You can include honey to a glass of warm water, and drink it to get relief from the particular cough.
- As a summation of the above, remember that viral bronchitis is caused due to the same virus that causes cold and flu.
- Therefore, if suffering from these conditions, you should get them treated immediately in order to prevent viral bronchitis.
Child's Cough - Bark-Like Sound - LISTEN!!!
If you've been searching articles online but don't really know what it sounds like I've created this short video so that you can hear what it sounds like. Forward a ...
Chest cold is a kind of phrase, which is used to denote the symptoms of bronchitis. It starts with a common chilly or even an upper respiratory tract infection; but, soon transforms in order to chest blockage, accompanied with cough and phlegm. These kinds of symptoms can be really bothersome, especially, throughout nighttime. This condition is called bronchitis, which is caused by inflammation of the mucous lining in the bronchial tubes. One of the most common cause of acute bronchitis is viruslike episodes, but, this condition are often caused by fungi or bacteria. Other causal real estate agents contain smoking and pollutants. A chest cold can be either acute or chronic. While most of the severe cases can be controlled successfully with home remedies, chronic ones require medical attention.
The ancient health beverage of the Chinese herbalists, Greeks and Romans, licorice is also another reliable home remedy to get rid of cough and cold. Having demulcent and expectorant properties, licorice tea aids in the expulsion of the phlegm from the respiratory tract, while soothing the sinus cavities and throat. Licorice tea is especially good for productive cough. Seep the roots in boiling water for about 10 minutes and strain it. You can add a sweetener to the beverage if you don't like the strong flavor.
The respiratory organs of the body help the act of breathing, which is a process that is essential for the survival. The internal organs that work in tandem in order to aid the act of breathing include the nasal passing, pharynx, larynx, windpipe, bronchi and the lungs. Let me give you a basic idea as to how these organs function. The air that we breathe is actually taken by the windpipe or the trachea, which in turn, bifurcates straight into two bronchial pontoons called bronchi. These kinds of tubes make taken in air to the lungs, wherein they branch into various smaller airways known as bronchioles.
The Bronchioles Branch in to Tiny Alveolar Sacs
It is within these sacs that exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide occurs. Exposure to environmental allergens or inhalation of pathogens may cause inflammation of some of the components of the respiratory system and also trigger respiratory infections such as bronchitis or pneumonia. The word bronchitis refers to the inflammation of the bronchi. If the inflammation of the bronchi is caused by bacteria, one is diagnosed with bacterial bronchitis. Given below is some information on microbe bronchitis signs and symptoms in addition to its causes and treatment options.
It is Not Intended to be a Substitute for the Advice of a Medical Expert.
Treatment The remedy depends on whether the pneumonia an infection is bacterial, viruslike, or yeast, and on how serious it is. Transmissions are usually remedied by taking the full course of prescribed antibiotics according to the instructions of the doctor. Antibiotics are usually ineffective against infections, but can usually be healed merely by taking rest at home for a few days. Fungal infections are cured with the help of antifungal medications. To be able to take care of the particular pneumonia symptoms like temperature, pain, and cough, some over-the-counter medications may be prescribed to provide comfort and sleep. If the symptoms are serious, hospitalization may be recommended, exactly where antibiotics may be administered intravenously, and also air therapy may be given. In addition, a few respiratory treatments may also be performed, if necessary.
Abruptness of Inhale as Well as Chest Pain
Having trouble breathing freely, even after the child has completed swimming, is actually a major indication of drinking water in the lungs and a characteristic of the start of dry drowning. Youngsters experiencing chest discomfort is quite unusual, which is also a major indicator of water being present in the lungs.
- Mucinex This is yet another FDA approved medicine that can provide a considerable amount of relief from chest congestion during pregnancy.
- This is one ingredient medication and contains guaifenesin.
- Guaifenesin is basically an expectorant that helps in thinning mucus secretions, which can be easily expelled through coughing.
Given below is a tagged diagram of a persons lungs then a brief account of the different parts of the lungs as well as their functions.
Cough Medicine During Pregnancy
Following are the medications found to be reliable during pregnancy: Robitussin When it comes to relieving cough during pregnancy, Robitussin is a trusted brand. Robitussin is commonly recommended by doctors and pharmacists to reduce cough in pregnant women. Depending upon the cough syrup strength, different ingredients have been added. However, to be on the safer side, doctors often recommend cough medicine that contains only one ingredient. So, go for 'Robitussin plain' as the only ingredient in it is dextromethorphan, which assists to suppress the cough. This ingredient has been analyzed carefully in laboratories and found to be safe for consumption in pregnant women. Studies show that pregnant women taking dextromethorphan in the right dosage does not cause any birth defects. Pregnant women suffering from dry cough can take this medicine.
Coltsfoot & Myrrh
If you want to choose homeopathy, then you might make teas with Coltsfoot. Drink this teas 3 times a day, for 2 times. An additional treatment is using Myrrh. Gargle with Myrrh extract and warm water. Myrrh has a cleansing impact on the throat and reduces infection.
Each lung is enclosed in the sac known as pleura, which is a double-membrane framework created by a sleek membrane known as serous membrane. The particular outer membrane layer of this structure is called parietal pleura and is attached to the chest wall, whereas the actual inner membrane is known as the particular deep pleura, and it covers the lungs as well as the associated structures. The space between the two filters is called pleural cavity.