Allergies Bronchitis: Dry Cough and Sore Throat
Sometimes, a sore throat can be accompanied by cough, which can be productive or non-productive. A non-productive cough is also known as a dry cough, which can be identified by the absence of phlegm or sputum production, unlike a productive cough.
- Constipation Constipation may be one of the side effects of expectorants.
- The inability to have smooth bowel movement may be disrupted for a few days, till the individual consumes the expectorant.
- You may also experience diarrhea, a contrary condition, which affects the gastrointestinal system.
Treatment of Dry Cough and Sore Throat
The treatment of these two conditions depends on the underlying causes. If these are caused by bacterial infections, then antibiotics can be used. Cough suppressants and throat lozenges can also help reduce the soreness in the throat.
This is a side effect which has now become a common symptom of expectorants not suiting you. You may suffer from sleeplessness or temporary insomnia, due to which you are drowsy and sleepy during the rest of the day. It is however, necessary that a suppressant be prescribed for the nighttime so that the individual may have a peaceful sleep, as he is not disturbed by the constant spasmodic coughing.
Risks of Whooping Cough
As mentioned above, due to the availability of advanced treatment methods and vaccination, the chances of contracting whooping cough is relatively less. Secondly, due to the same reasons, the chances of death occurring due to whooping cough are further lessened. According to the statistics, deaths occurring due to whooping cough are as low as 0.2% of the total cases. However, this does not mean that there cannot be any possibility of death. As there are reported deaths caused due to this disease, one should be aware of the whooping cough risks and take care in order to prevent them.
Case of pulmonary fibrosis, the elastic properties of the lungs get affected due to the replacement of elastin by collagen. Collagen is not as elastic as elastin, which affects the ability to lungs to stretch or expand. This leads to reduced compliance. On the other hand, emphysema is characterized by damage to the elastic tissue of the alveolar sacs in the lungs due to enzymes secreted by leukocytes (white blood cells). Smokers are at a high risk for emphysema. The secretion of enzymes occurs due to exposure to irritants from cigarette smoke.
Emphysema leads to poor elastic recoil, which in turn leads to high lung compliance. People affected by emphysema find it harder to exhale or expel air out of the lungs. As a result, they experience shortness of breath. At times, the alveolar sacs could become filled with fluid due to edema, which in turn might be observed in case of pneumonia or left-sided heart failure. This will also result in reduced lung compliance.
Believe it or not, homoeopathic system of therapy is really a re-animating therapy, provided it is practiced according to the laws of Similia Similibus Curentur.
- Remedy # 3 - Gargling with Salt Water Gargling with salt water is one of the most effective home remedies for curing a dry cough and sore throat.
- Take a glass of water and heat it to a temperature that is comfortable enough for you to take into the mouth without burning yourself.
- To this water, add 2 tsp of salt and stir well.
- If the water is too hot, you can add some room temperature water to balance the temperature out.
- Take a swig of the water, look towards the ceiling and start gargling.
- You'll feel the heat spread down to your throat.
- This works in two ways - The salt will destroy the bacterial growth and the hot water will treat the inflammation and scratchiness in the throat.
- One can also mix turmeric in the water and use that solution for gargling.
- Turmeric has medicinal properties that destroy the infection and lead to relief.
- As it is an airborne disease, cats can also get infected with kennel cough.
- Although cats do not show symptoms like cough, they can have a runny nose and fever.
Dry Cough Remedy for Kids
Mostly, you can relieve your child's cough with the help of some simple self-care treatment measures. However, if your child is an infant, then nothing would be more advisable than taking him/her to a pediatrician.
- Sometimes, a sore throat and dry cough can occur simultaneously, while at other times, a dry cough can follow a sore throat.
- This condition can be alleviated or treated effectively once the underlying cause/causes are discerned.
- So, let's find out the factors or conditions that can cause a sore throat and dry cough.
- Along with medications, a few simple home remedies can also help reduce coughing and throat soreness.
- For example, you can use slightly warm saline water to gargle your throat two to three times a day.
- Teach your child the proper way to gargle.
- Even better, help him/her practice with plain water first.
- Remember to tell your child not to swallow the saline solution but to spit it out, after gargling with it.
Herbal Tea If you don't find relief, sip on a cup of any herbal tea you like (such as green tea) that has been flavored with a good amount of ginger, a pinch of black/cayenne pepper, a pinch of salt, a teaspoon of honey, one or two fresh basil leaves, and a dash of lemon juice. These are all ingredients that have the ability to treat a cough, and when used in combination, are bound to be effective in stopping the coughing fit.
- Elastic tension increases during inspiration and decreases due to recoil during expiration.
- Lung compliance is inversely proportional to elastic resistance.
- The elastic forces that are responsible for lung compliance include:
Make a paste of basil leaves and honey. Give this mixture to your child whenever he/she has a cough. Soak some almonds in water overnight, and the next morning make a paste out of them. Mix this paste with honey, and give it to your child whenever he/she has a cough.
Allergies and Infections
Some people are allergic to certain foods and experience chronic coughs after ingesting those particular food products. This is one of the reasons people experience coughing after having ice cream or other cold food products, spicy, or greasy food. The body is probably not used to the cold or the spiciness hence, it evokes an immune response that results in coughing as soon as you eat. Certain other types of allergies and infections can also cause you to cough after eating. Any infectious disease related to the larynx and esophagus, can lead to a temporary dysfunction of that organ thus causing trouble swallowing food and drink that ultimately leads to choking. This situation can result in a chronic cough after eating any kind of food, irrespective of it being spicy or bland.
- There are high chances of kennel cough being contagious to people who are in close contact with the infected pet.
- On the other hand, people with a weakened immune system, like babies, children or old people are at a higher risk of contracting the disease.
- Mononucleosis Also known as the 'kissing disease', mononucleosis spreads through contact with the saliva of the infected individual.
- This viral disease is characterized by fever and enlarged lymph nodes, especially in the neck and the armpits.
- This infectious disease can also cause swollen tonsils, fatigue or malaise, skin rash, and headaches.
- Mononucleosis is caused by the Epstein-Barr virus, and is more common in teenagers and young adults.
Natural Cures for Cough
For mild cough, it is always better to use the normal cough suppressants. But once more, not all treatments are safe to be used continuously for a long time, especially while pregnant. Honey is a natural remedy for cough that can be used by pregnant women. You can honey to a glass of warm water, and drink it to get relief from the particular cough.
Acute bronchitis can also start with a dry cough, which is then followed by the production of a small amount of white or yellow sputum, wheezing, a sore throat, fever, shortness of breath, and a burning sensation in the chest. Bronchitis refers to the inflammation of the mucous membranes of the bronchi. Bronchitis can be acute or chronic. Acute bronchitis is usually caused by viral or bacterial infections, while chronic bronchitis is caused by smoking or long-term occupational exposure to irritating fumes or dust.
Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment of Pneumothorax Pneumothorax, also referred to as lung collapse, is the result of unwanted oxygen caught around the lungs. The lung collapses as it can t expand in the normal fashion, as a result of presence of unwanted air/gas. Treatment plans can be grouped into...
The time required for complete recovery from pneumonia is usually between 2 weeks to 2 months depending on the severity of the infection, and the immune system of the individual who has contracted the disease.
Chest cold is a very common term, which is used to denote the symptoms of bronchitis. It starts with a common cool or perhaps an upper respiratory tract infection; but, soon changes in order to chest overcrowding, accompanied with cough and phlegm. These kinds of symptoms can be really bothersome, especially, during nighttime. This condition is named bronchitis, that is caused by inflammation of the mucous lining in the bronchial tubes. Probably the most common cause of acute bronchitis is viruslike episodes, but, this condition can also be caused by fungi or bacteria. Other causal agents include cigarette smoking and pollution. A chest cold can be either acute or chronic. While a lot of the acute cases can be managed effectively with home remedies, chronic kinds require medical attention.
- Laryngitis The inflammation of the larynx or the voice box is referred to as laryngitis.
- It can be caused by upper respiratory infections or an overuse of the voice box by singing or shouting.
- A dry and sore throat, hoarseness or loss of voice, and cough are the common symptoms of this condition.
- Children can experience croup, a type of hoarse, barking cough due to laryngitis.
- Coughing is the body's natural way of getting rid of foreign substances from the throat and respiratory tract.
- Given that, an occasional cough is normal and means no harm.
- However, a cough that stays for several weeks, does signal something severe.
- A dry cough, also known as nonproductive cough, does not produce any phlegm unlike a wet cough or productive cough.
- In most children, a dry cough is usually minor and relatively easy to treat.
- In some cases, however, it may be otherwise.
- Help your child do a salt water gargle.
- To make the solution, simply mix 1/2 teaspoon of table salt in a glass of lukewarm water, and stir.
- Note: Salt water gargle is most suitable for kids aged 4 and above.
- Pharyngitis Pharyngitis is the infection or inflammation of the pharynx or the back of the throat.
- The affected individual can experience a sore throat, scratchiness in the throat, and difficulty in swallowing.
- Sometimes, a fever, a runny nose, headaches, and body aches can also be experienced.
- However, the most common symptom of this condition is a sore throat, which can be accompanied by a dry cough at times.
- Pharyngitis can be caused by both viral and bacterial infections.
- Steam inhalation is another effective remedy for a sore throat.
- It can help clear up the nasal passage, and promote the expulsion of mucus.
One also needs to take enough rest, and follow a healthy and balanced diet to accelerate the healing process. Many times, installing a humidifier can also provide some relief. But if your cough and throat soreness persist for several days, or if these are accompanied by a high-grade fever, severe pain in the throat, rash, enlarged or swollen lymph nodes in the neck, and blood in saliva, be sure to evaluate the condition immediately with the help of your physician.
- Postnasal drip is responsible for causing a sore throat, it can be relieved with the help of decongestants.
- If the pain in the throat is unbearable, you can take painkillers under the supervision of your physician.
A sore throat and dry cough can also be associated with smoking, inhalation of foreign particles or irritants, sinus infections, and postnasal drip. In postnasal drip, the nasal mucosa produces excess mucus, which then accumulates in the throat or back of the nose. This can cause a sore throat and cough. Apart from these, gastroesophageal reflux disease can produce soreness in the throat and a dry cough, besides causing difficulty in swallowing.
- Paste of honey and ginger is equally beneficial in reducing dry cough.
- Simply grind some freshly-cut cloves of ginger and mix it with honey, and administer three times a day.
- Everyone knows that smoking is an unhealthy habit, but taking a decision to quit smoking is certainly not an easy one for habitual smokers.
- The first step involves mustering up the strength or will power to make the decision to quit smoking.
- One needs to understand that risks of smoking outweigh the satisfaction or pleasure associated with smoking.
- Those who quit smoking would certainly be doing themselves a great favor.
- This is your chance to prevent the accumulation of harmful toxins and thus, lower the risks of serious health problems.
- One, however, must be ready to experience smoking withdrawal symptoms for some time.
- Most people complain about coughing up black mucus after quitting smoking.
- Wondering what does this signify?
- Scroll down to find out why one may be coughing up mucus after quitting smoking.
Gargling three to four times a day is recommended. If your child has a stuffy nose along with a dry cough, then help him/her sleep with the head slightly elevated. For this, you can use pillows or towels. This will help your child breathe more comfortably and sleep better.
Coltsfoot & Myrrh
If you want to go for homeopathy, then you could make their tea with Coltsfoot. Drink this their tea 3 times a day, for 2 times. An additional treatment is using Myrrh. Gargle with Myrrh extract and warm water. Myrrh has a cleansing effect on the tonsils and reduces an infection.
To avoid digestive/circulatory system problems, you should try to maintain your weight within the normal range for your height. You should control high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes with the help of balanced diet, exercises and prescribed medications. Those diagnosed with asthma should stay away from very cold air, excessive exercise, exposure to allergens and infections. Cigarette smoking and excessive consumption of alcohol affect the health of the lungs and heart.
So, you should quit smoking and stop alcohol abuse too. A healthy diet low in saturated and hydrogenated fats helps keep away diseases and disorders. A cholesterol-free diet that is high in starches (complex carbohydrates) and fiber (fruits and vegetables) helps maintain the health of the heart. The doctor may prescribe antianxiety medication but you should learn some stress-relieving techniques like yoga and meditation; because they help manage the stress. Regular exercise and certain breathing exercises like pranayama help improve the health of your heart and lungs. They ensure maximum supply of blood and oxygen to the heart.
- This is a condition that causes chronic cough in the morning in many people.
- The eruption of acid reflux comes fairly unexpectedly, and there are not many signs that point towards its emergence.
- But once it arrives, it is hard to chase away, and constantly causes a morning cough.
- Due to this disease, also known to cause heartburn, the various stomach acids regurgitate into the esophagus.
- This results in extreme irritation in the throat, and many cases of morning cough are traced back to the presence of this condition.
- It is a fairly difficult condition to diagnose though, as coughing can be a symptom of many diseases.
- Another home remedy for these two conditions is lemon juice.
- Add a few drops of honey to it and drink the mixture.
- You can also mix about 1 to 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar in a glass of water, and drink the mixture to get relief from the soreness.
Cough, whether dry or wet, can take a lot out of your child's body. Although, you may not always prevent the condition from affecting your child, you can surely reduce the risks. One of the simple ways of doing it is by maintaining personal hygiene, and helping your kids learn to do the same.